Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ishii Traded to Mets

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ishii Traded to Mets
Kaz Ishii [MLB.com] was traded to the Mets for catcher Jason Phillips. Ishii will replace the void in the starting rotation left from the Steve Traschel injury. Ishii was 13-8 with a 4.71 ERA last year in 31 games. [Link - MLB.com]
Comments
Re: Ishii Traded to Mets
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Apr 19, 2005 5:36 AM ]

Ishii seems to be responding to Peterson's coaching. Walks are down and he went nearly toe to toe with Clemens during his last outing. He pitches tonight. I think he will have his best season yet.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 19, 2005 1:33 PM ]

You spoke too soon. Ishii was back to his old walk form.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Apr 20, 2005 6:02 AM ]

Yeah, you're right. I must have put a jinx on him. He just didn't have it last night.

I do think that Rick Petersen can help him a bit.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 15, 2005 9:29 AM ]

In Ishii's rehab start with A Fort St.Lucie Friday, he pitched 4 no-hit innings versus the Fort Myers Miracle. Ishii will have one more rehab start before being activated. It's currently unknown where Ishii will pitch his next rehab start at. [News - Minor League Baseball]
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 17, 2005 3:32 PM ]

Ishii will start against the Reds on Tuesday. I've got my fingers crossed.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: May 18, 2005 3:34 PM ]

Asian Night at Shea couldn't have had a better game with one Kaz pitching brillantly and the other Kaz playing the hero by hitting the 2 run homer.
Asian Night
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 20, 2005 2:39 PM ]

Asian Night is kind of hokey. It's kind of like having a Europe Night. There easily are enough Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Thais, and Vietnamese in NY to have separate nights. I think the Mets are having a separate Pakistani Night. Isn't Pakistan in Asia? In the end, there are so many different groups that I guess you could have a different night for every home game and still manage to slight someone.

The two Kaz's were fine the other night. I hope it continues. We need good performances from them.
Re: Asian Night
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: May 30, 2005 2:19 AM ]

Another very fine outing by Kaz Ishii the other night, taking the win against the Marlins.

To those posters who think the Mets et al eat up and spit out Japanese players, due to racist bias and hypocricy, read the following quote by Ishii published in the New York Post today:
"Ever since coming over here [and] talking to Rick about my pitching, I think I've become more consistent," Ishii said. "When I was in the Dodgers organization, when I had a bad outing, why I pitched bad was kind of a grey area.

"It happened pretty frequently. . . . Coming to the New York Mets has changed my major league career."
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 30, 2005 12:50 AM ]

Ishii won his first game of the year, pitching 6 and 2/3 innings, giving up only one run, 5 hits, and striking out 3. [Recap - MLB.com] [http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2005_05_28_nynmlb_flomlb_1&c_id=mlb">Box Score -MLB.com]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.