Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Players to Mariners

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Japanese Players to Mariners
I want to know if the Mariners are going after any Japanese baseball players like Matsuzaka, Godzilla, Little Matsui, or Nakamura.

Thanks
Comments
Re: Japanese Players to Mariners
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 24, 2002 2:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

A site that might have more people who know what's going on in Seattle's front office is their official fan forum.
[ Author: Guest: O-Ncannon | Posted: Aug 25, 2002 9:39 AM ]

I went there and it had nothing.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Aug 28, 2002 7:03 PM ]

The Mariners are interested in both Matsuzaka and Kazuo Matsui and lately I've seen mention of them possibly going after Hideki Matsui (hard to believe given their budget constraints). I doubt, though, that with his injuries, Matsuzaka will come out this off season.
[ Author: yoyogi1231 | Posted: Aug 29, 2002 11:18 PM ]

...And the plot thickens.

Hmm, I wonder if Yomuiri Tokyo Giants' owner Watanabe is MORE likely to deal with Hiroshi Yamauchi of Nintendo (Seattle Mariners) in regards to "Godzilla" than with someone like George Steinbrenner.

If yes, could it be because Yamauchi is MORE familiar with Japanese business practices than Steinbrenner?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Aug 30, 2002 7:28 AM | HT Fan ]

If yes, could it be because Yamauchi is MORE familiar with Japanese business practices than Steinbrenner?

Hideki will be a free agent after this season so Watanabe has no official say in the matter. He can encourage Godzilla to choose one team over another, and Matsui might listen to him ... then again, Matsui might not.
[ Author: Guest: Matt | Posted: Aug 31, 2002 3:49 AM ]

Any one know Watanabe's first name?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Oct 3, 2002 11:46 AM ]

> Any one know Watanabe's first name?

Tsuneo.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Aug 28, 2002 11:21 PM ]

I think Hiroshi Yamauchi of Nintendo would sign Hideki Matsui no problem. Ichiro can move to center. He has more range, speed, and arm. Cameron can't hit except for one day which he hit 4 hrs.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Aug 29, 2002 3:36 PM ]

There's no need to do even that. The Mariners have a rather large hole in left field that Matsui will fill in nicely...
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 3, 2002 6:53 AM | HT Fan ]

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020922.html

"Mariners RF Ichiro Suzuki tells friends that Japanese switch-hitting SS Kazuo Matsui is 'faster than me, has a better arm and hits for more power but doesn't hit as consistently.' Matsui, however, only will play in the majors next season if he is posted by his Japanese team, the Seibu Lions, who would entertain sealed bids for his negotiating rights, then accept or reject the high offer. The Mariners are mulling payroll reductions but almost certainly would pursue Matsui with the idea of making Carlos Guillen an often-used utility man. . . ."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.