Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Coming to America in 2003?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Coming to America in 2003?
When do we hear about who officially wants to come to the US to play in 2003? Is there an official process players in Japan need to go through (i.e. clearing waivers, waiving, contract not renewed, etc)?

We hear the rumors about Kauzo Matsui, Hideki Matsui, etc. Is anyone else rumored to be coming, since I assume things will be heating up due to the (quick) end of the Japan Series?
Comments
Re: Coming to America in 2003?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 1, 2002 7:52 AM | YBS Fan ]

- When do we hear about who officially wants to come to the US to play in 2003?

Very good question. The short answer is, some time after November 13.

- Is there an official process players in Japan need to go through?

Long long answer is:

October 31 through November 11: Eligable players turn in a declaration that they wish to pursue being a free agent to their respective ball clubs.

November 12: The teams pass on the declarations to the Commissioner's Office.

November 13: The ban on talking to other ball clubs (domestic and foreign) is lifted and negotiations may begin.

All along, though, the players' current teams are working hard to convince their players not to declare.

I'll try to tack on a list of all qualifiers later.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 2, 2002 9:57 AM ]

Westbaystars:

Thanks for the info ... if you get a chance please post or send me via email those that are good posting possibilities .... thank you very much in advance.

[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Nov 4, 2002 11:36 AM ]

Kintetsu Buffaloes' closer Akinori Otsuka has asked to be posted some time this month since he wants to go to the U.S. in December to start negotiations. Kintetsu will accomodate the posting, but haven't said if they will agree to the time frame.

Hiroshi Takamura, a Kintetsu starter, has wisely decided to stay with the team.

Yokohama closer Takashi Saito says he will indeed take offers from MLB teams, and Boston seems the most interested, as are St. Louis, Texas, and L.A.

Kazuo Matsui is still undecided.

Kimiyasu Kudoh made some noises about going over, but then said he would stay.

Akinori Iwamura has reportedly told Yakult that he wants to be posted by 2005.

There was some interest by the Padres in both Daisuke Miura and Hiroshi Shibakusa, but both of them are going to stay.
[ Author: Guest: Andy | Posted: Nov 9, 2002 11:59 PM ]

Westbaystars:

Any chance you could post those qualifiers, and those that have expressed interest in leaving for MLB in the US?

Thanks!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 10, 2002 12:32 AM | YBS Fan ]

Free agents were posted here. You'll have to wait until the 13th to know who filed.

I think that what you want to read, though, is Albright-san's list of possible MLB candidates for this off season.
[ Author: redsoxfan | Posted: Nov 5, 2002 12:04 AM ]

For those of you interest in MLB rumors. I go here [prosportsdaily.com].

It's a culmination of sports pages around the US. There are quite a few articles on Hideki Matsui there already. However, they're mostly coming from the NYC area.

Some articles need you to register to read, but nothing you need to pay for.
Is There an Official Free Agent List Available fromCommissioners Office?
[ Author: Guest: Andy | Posted: Nov 14, 2002 6:29 AM ]

Now that November 12 has come and gone, is there an official list as to who has declared free agency officially?
Re: Is There an Official Free Agent List Available fromCommissioners Office
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 14, 2002 9:51 AM | YBS Fan ]

Ask and you shall receive. I've posted them here.
Nori to SF
[ Author: Guest: Mike M | Posted: Dec 3, 2002 10:03 AM ]

I was reading on the mlb.com website that the San Francisco Giants are interested in 3b Norihiro Nakamura. I'd really like to see Nakamura play for the Giants, because the local network really covers the Giants here. I'd be interested to see if his power can translate over to MLB.
Re: Nori to SF
[ Author: Guest: kevin | Posted: Dec 15, 2002 1:54 AM ]

That's complete BULL ****. The Mets are getting him, trust me. The Giants have no interest. They have a great 3rd baseman already. The Mets are dropping their 3rd baseman Edgardo Alfonzo! So there's an open spot for him!
Re: Nori to SF
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 15, 2002 10:14 AM | YBS Fan ]

Considering that Nori has set December 17 as his deadline for a decision, and that the SF Giants haven't made him an offer, I'd say that there's very little chance that they ever will.
Nori to NY
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 15, 2002 11:52 AM | HT Fan ]

Very true, but the Mets have made him an offer and, if a Hochi Shimbun report is correct, the Cubs (Yippie!) might be interested too.
Re: Nori to NY
[ Author: Guest: max | Posted: Dec 19, 2002 6:43 AM ]

One web site - msg.com - I lost the link, but it was there and I will post soon as I can - is saying that Nakamura has signed with NY. Radio in NY said Mets deny the report. Where there is smoke, is there fire?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.