Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kiyohara Waiting for Hanshin Offer?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kiyohara Waiting for Hanshin Offer?
I almost put this in the "News" section because it was in SanSpo, but surely it's just one of those rumours that make the rounds when there's no actual baseball to report about.

Anyway, SanSpo are reporting that Kiyohara, recently declared surplus to Yomiuri's requirements, met with Orix and they expressed their interest in acquiring him, but that Kiyohara maintained his no-comment stance. The article goes on to say that Kiyohara fervently hopes to join Hanshin, quoting a source close to Kiyohara (unnnamed, of course) that Kiyohara said he was waiting for Hanshin to make him an offer.

Conversely, SanSpo reports that Hanshin is not interested. Hanshin player acquisitions chief Masahiro Kuroda is quoted as saying the club is not even considering personnel matters until after the Nippon Series, while on October 1 (the date Kiyohara became a free agent), Hanshin manager Akinobu Okada said he was not considering acquiring the Kishiwada native. On the same day, Hanshin club president Toshihiro Makita stated they had no interest in Kiyohara.

Meanwhile, a separate SanSpo article speculates that a healthy Kiyohara could start at first for Hanshin, with Andy Sheets moving to second.
Comments
Re: Kiyohara Waiting for Hanshin Offer?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 8, 2005 6:21 PM | CLM Fan ]

This year's team won the pennant easily. I don't think Hanshin will mess with "wa."
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 8, 2005 3:21 AM ]

Why would you want him except to sign autographs? This guy was done about 6 years ago anywhere else. Hitting home runs in a high school park (Big Egg) isn't that impressive after a while.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Dec 3, 2005 6:55 PM ]

Is Kiyohara joining Orix?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 5, 2005 5:22 AM ]

- Is Kiyohara joining Orix?

Your guess is as good as mine right now. Outgoing manager Akira Ohgi, now a special adivsor, said getting Kiyohara was a top priority, but I haven't heard much on Kiyohara from Orix since that announcement.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 8, 2005 1:56 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hanshin had two problem positions last year - second base and right field. Current thinking is that the right field spot is to be filled by Lin Wei-Tsu who made an impressive showing late in the season with Hiyama moving to the pinch hitting role (no news on Spencer).

If he performs well in the camps, Kataoka will be restored to third and Imaoka moved back to second as Imaoka was not an unqualified success in the former position.

Kiyohara does not figure in the Tigers' plans at all, especially with Sheets proving to be such a success at first.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Dec 15, 2005 11:30 AM | SL Fan ]

Orix made an official offer to Kiyohara, and now they're waiting for his reply.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 20, 2005 7:47 AM | HAN Fan ]

Kiyohara announced today (December 20, 2005) that he had accepted Orix's offer. He will receive 300 million (3-oku) yen for a one year contract.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 8:18 AM | HAN Fan ]

Sorry 2.5-oku. I was going on earlier reports.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Dec 26, 2005 9:11 AM ]

Orix will be the most improved team in the league. They have added Kiyohara (1B-DH), Nakamura (3B-DH), Davey (P), Grabowski (LF-RF-3B-1B-DH-C), Hirano (rookie P), and maybe Serafini (P). Last year Orix had a shortage of power, but still were the most improved team in the league. This year Kiyohara, Nakamura, Grabowski, Brumbaugh, Kitagawa, and Tani all could hit 20 home runs or more.
[ Author: Guest: Fred | Posted: May 22, 2006 8:17 PM ]

Ha ha, Orix are terrible. From the manager and coaches to the gajin to the Japanese players. They all are horrible. If it wasn't for Rakuten they would be in last place. This is a team that is a combination of two teams and they still can't win. Pathetic!
[ Author: Guest: Fred | Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:15 PM ]

This team is terrible. Manager Nakamura is an idiot! Why he contines to use minor league pitchers who never get the job done is beyond me. Why he pulls good starting pitchers who are pitching well is also moronic.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.