Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Center Fielders

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Japanese Center Fielders
The center field crop in the MLB free agent market is awful this year. Are there any Japanese center fielders who look like they could come over to the MLB and be good players? Can Fukudome play a quality defensive center field, or is he strickly a corner outfielder?
Comments
Re: Japanese Center Fielders
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 15, 2005 11:27 PM | CLM Fan ]

I think Aoki, Tamura, Akahoshi, Yoshinobu Takahashi, and Fukudome could all play in the majors. The Pacific League is kind of weak in the center field position. I want to say that Saburo could play, but he's only just begun playing like an all-star in the second half of the season. Hopefully he'll get an entire season next year. Also, Shinjo is just fine in Japan, but I don't think he could go back to the North America and be successful. He needs the attention of the fans to succeed, much like Kaz Matsui.
Re: Japanese Center Fielders
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 16, 2005 4:01 AM ]

- [Shinjo] needs the attention of the fans to succeed

Shinjo always had the attention of Mets fans and was always a fan favorite of them. Shinjo was one of the most popular Mets in his two stints with them.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.