Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jose Ortiz

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Jose Ortiz
I read somewhere that the second baseman Jose Ortiz (rockies) was sold to the Orix BlueWave. Is this true? I can't find a record of any transaction, just the newspaper article on November 23, 2002 saying it may happen.
Comments
Re: Jose Oritiz
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 10, 2003 9:29 AM | HT Fan ]

Orix Blue Wave's website reported here (in Japanese) on the 13th of December, 2002 that they had signed Jose Ortiz.

Also some bloke called Roosevelt Brown from the Cubs.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jan 10, 2003 9:47 AM ]

That bloke Rosie Brown is going to be a helluva hitter in Japan.

While they all seem to be castoffs from MLB, Orix is really stocking up on players with Major League experience. It looks like they're making a real run for it. Anyone like their chances?
[ Author: jcorbino | Posted: Jan 11, 2003 8:27 AM ]

This is probably Ortiz's "last stand" as far as any meaningful baseball career is concerned. This guy has been a toad on many levels; had a golden opp to star @ Coors Field and ran himself out of town. Before that, he was the heir apparent to 2B in Oak-town -- so much so that the A's gave up on a power-hitting middle IF who donged 27 times for the Cubbies last year (Mark Bellhorn).

If you have a list of preseason picks for "Gaikokujin Disaster of the Year" in '03, chances are this guy should be on it. My bet is that Ortiz will be farmin' it by July... if he's even still in-country. (I'll take the chance of being wrong on this, every time. No guts, no glory...)
Re: Jose Oritiz and Roosevelt Brown
[ Author: Guest: Matthew Mougalian | Posted: Jan 14, 2003 8:16 AM ]

While not "castoffs" exactly, these guys have demonstrated, for any number of reasons, that they are not major league caliber players. Maybe it's their BB/K ratio and a lack of patience, maybe it's attitude, maybe it's failure to reach potential. In Brown's case, his plate discipline has been dismal. And in Jose Ortiz's case, well, his was a simple failure to perform in any capable way. I'm happy there might be roster spots for these guys in Japan, but I can't imagine either of them playing in the States at the major league level.
[ Author: Guest: enrique rojas | Posted: Jan 14, 2003 9:38 AM ]

I think it is so hard to say one 26 years old guy can't learn about his errors (on and off the field). Ortiz has the talent, so now he needs to learn patience. When you are young, you have a chance to learn. Ortiz can hit and run very well. He only needs a chance.
[ Author: jcorbino | Posted: Jan 15, 2003 4:04 AM ]

Agreed, Enrique, but the consensus (here and in MLB, apparently) seems to be that Jose Ortiz has had chances already... and to be a 26-year-old w/his potential having to play in Japan for a shot at playing everyday, well, that may speak volumes for his maturity. Hopefully he will gain the perspective he needs from this experience.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.