Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kenji Johjima

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kenji Johjima
The latest issue of Baseball America had an article discussing the possibility of Fukuoka Daiei Hawks' catcher Kenji Johjima going to MLB following the 2005 season. Anyone have any idea how accurate this might be?

I'm wondering if it has reached the point now with Ichiro and Big Matsui gone and Little Matsui assumed to be going (and several sports dailies with space to fill) that at some time or another every major Japanese player will be rumoured to be heading to America.
Comments
Re: Kenji Johjima
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 7, 2003 10:34 AM ]

Given the possibility of injury, etc. (especially for a catcher), I wouldn't begin to think about anyone who doesn't have a realistic chance of going to the majors for 2004. Also, I think that, yes, the American press has a need to feed the curiousity of roti players and fans about Japanese possibilities, and thus every big-name player who does not expressly deny any interest (or better yet, signs a long-term contract to stay in Japan) will be discussed in the American press.

Of course, many poorly informed stateside fans (and writers) can't imagine a player might prefer to stay in Japan, which further fuels such talk.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Jun 8, 2003 12:53 AM | CHU Fan ]

- [...] I think that, yes, the American press has a need to feed the curiousity of roti players and fans about Japanese possibilities, [...]

- Of course, many poorly informed stateside fans (and writers) can't imagine a player might prefer to stay in Japan, which further fuels such talk.

Actually, the article in quetion was written by Baseball America's Japanese Baseball correspondent Wayne Gracyzk of the Tokyo Weekender. It didn't originate in the State-side press.

I don't think I phrased my original question very well. What I was wondering is whether or not in the Japanese press (there are no sports dailies in the U.S.) is there a lot of speculation on who might be headed to the U.S. Other than mentions of Kazuo Matsui, I see very little speculation in the U.S. press.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 9, 2003 9:16 AM | HT Fan ]

Hey, speaking of Jojima, a couple of nights ago, as NHK played the 10-second sports section intro music and a few flashes of "and in tonight's sports news" clips, one of those clips featured Jojima at the plate having a chest shoving match with the opposition catcher. Then during the actual sports news, they didn't mention anything about such an incident at all.

Does anyone know anything about it? Was it a free-for-all dugout-clearing call-in-the-riot-squad brawl or what?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.