Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin after Jerrod Riggan

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Hanshin after Jerrod Riggan
Hanshin are reported to be looking to sign Jerrod Riggan, a pitcher with Triple-A Norfolk.

In SanSpo [Sankei Sports], Hanshin's manager Senichi Hoshino said,

"This guy just appeared out of nowhere. I'd never heard of him.

"On video he looks good, but I'll have to see him throw in the flesh to tell what his pitches are like.

"Use him as a closer? We've got Williams to do that for us. But [whoever we sign as a middle reliever] will have to be good enough to be a closer just to make it as a middle reliever in Japan."

Anyone know anything about this Jerrod Riggan guy?

Comments
Re: Hanshin after Jerrod Riggan
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jun 10, 2003 10:00 AM | HT Fan ]

- Anyone know anything about this Jerrod Riggan guy?

His 2003 stats through June 8 [BaseballAmerica.com] are pretty good -- 2.61 ERA, 10.45 K/9, 4.00 K/BB, 1.16 WHIP.
[ Author: dsonme13 | Posted: Jun 17, 2003 2:54 PM ]

Look at Riggan's stats in 2001 when he came up with the Mets, before the Alomar trade. He had a pretty good debut. He didn't do so well when he went to Cleveland. Rumor has it that he wasn't treated too well with the Tribe, and that was reflected in his pitching. Once back with the Mets' organization at Norfolk, he started turning it on.

I also hear he is looking forward to playing for Hanshin. I believe he will be with Hanshin for a couple years. It will be interesting to see how he does now that he has a chance to settle in with one club for a while.
[ Author: dsonme13 | Posted: Jun 17, 2003 3:04 PM ]

Riggan's stats, when he debuted with the Mets, were pretty good. He went to Cleveland in the Alomar deal and wasn't given a chance to settle in. Rumor has it he wasn't treated very well there and it reflected in his pitching.

Once back with the Mets organization in Norfolk, he started to put up some good numbers again. I hear he is looking forward to playing for Hanshin. It will be interesting to see how he performs now that he has an opportunity to settle in with one club. (I think he signed for 2 years.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.