Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bobby V

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Bobby V
Here's a link to the New York Daily News on the rumor about Bobby Valentine returning to the Chiba Lotte Chiba.

I cannot imagine how a loud-mouthed guy like Bobby V. gets on in Japan, but if Lotte wants him, they can have him. He sleep walked through his last year in New York managing the Mets. His loud mouth is much better suited for broadcasting.
Comments
Re: Bobby V
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Oct 16, 2003 11:21 AM ]

As a Mets fan, I loved Bobby V. He knew his baseball and has a great eye for talent. He just lost the clubhouse, through no fault of his own.

BTW, doesnt it seem like a lot of Mets fans come to this site? lol
[ Author: Guest: John LoGiudice | Posted: Nov 2, 2003 12:58 AM ]

I'm a Mets' fan here! I wish Bobby V. the best.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Oct 18, 2003 7:21 AM ]

That's because right now we're looking for help from anywhere!
[ Author: tfk22587 | Posted: Nov 2, 2003 12:49 PM ]

I'm a new guy, but I'm a huge Met Fan, too. And I don't see why the Marines shouldn't want him back. I want to follow NPB a bit closer since the American game seems to be slipping to an unbearably power-oriented level. Does anyone mind me asking a few dumb questions, like where to get timely news/updates?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 4, 2003 12:27 AM | HT Fan ]

- Does anyone mind me asking a few dumb questions, like where to get timely news/updates?

Nothing dumb about that. Get 'em here, get 'am at Baseball Guru, or you can try the Daily Yomiuri (but be warned, it's a pretty lame site for a newspaper - they only post a small number of their stories everyday).
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 4, 2003 3:08 AM ]

Bobby V signed with Lotte. It is not clear if this $6.4 million contract is for 3 years total or $6.4 per year. Anybody know for sure?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 4, 2003 10:57 AM ]

I don't have any facts with me, but I am quite sure that the $6.4 million is for the period of 3 years. Lotte doesn't have the kind of money to spend on a manager for one year. $6.4 million per year would make Valentine the highest paid coach/player in all of Japanese baseball (yes, even more than Petagine).
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Nov 4, 2003 11:08 PM ]

When he managed in 1995, he was quite popular in Japan. Now that Hirooka is gone he'll be able to do whatever he wants. Remember, Lotte is not a Japanese company but Korean, and they are more open to new ideas.
[ Author: tfk22587 | Posted: Nov 20, 2003 9:36 AM ]

I hear Bobby V. left after '95 because of a spat with a Lotte's GM. I know he was popular, but is that actually why he left?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 20, 2003 10:11 AM | YBS Fan ]

It was more than just a spat. Hirooka-GM fired him for not running the team his way. I'll see if I can find some of my older articles on this, as the "Bobby Valentine Show" was my most popular segment when I started writing on the Internet back in 1995.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.