Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ugueth Urbina in NPB in 2004?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Ugueth Urbina in NPB in 2004?
Urbina is not getting the $4M+/year offers from MLB teams that he is expecting. He claims he will sit out the season if he doesn't get an offer that meets his expectations. There's been speculation that he might want to play in Japan.

This closer has beed offered $2.5-3.0M for one year. What are the chances he could do better in NPB? Does anyone here see a closer like Ugie being attractive to a Japanese team?
Comments
Re: Ugueth Urbina in NPB in 2004?
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 1:18 AM | HAN Fan ]

The big question (if Ugueth Urbina plays in NPB) is how the Japanese fans and press will pronounce his name, or if they will give him a nickname to put on his uniform?
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 2:57 AM ]

I guess they can call him Ugi. It's better than calling him stinker.

The turn-off to clubs regarding Urbina is not strictly his monetary demands. It's the way he made them and his attitude. Further, while he did very well for the Marlins in the second half, he had a tendency to melt down when things go wrong and to let his head mess him up in pressure situations. These are attributes that one doesn't want in a closer.

Personally, I think he's too selfish to play in NPB, but would play anywhere he got the money he wants.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 2:31 AM ]

I don't know if any NPB team would want to put out that kind of yen for him. But I do think he'd be an excellent closer in NPB, with an ERA probably around 2.50, maybe even lower.

Jim Albright
[ Author: zephendrix17 | Posted: Jan 27, 2004 1:07 PM ]

Yeah, I'd think Ugi would definetly succeed in Japan if given the chance. He's got a live arm with some great velocity. Remember, this was a guy who just last season was traded for a first round draft pick minor leaguer (Adrian Gonzalez), and he's won a ring with the Marlins in the U.S.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 28, 2004 2:38 AM ]

I made my assessment with the unstated assumption he's got his head screwed on straight and wants to be there. He's got the talent, but I can't speak to his mental preparedness to tackle moving to NPB.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: JORGE ZURITA | Posted: Jan 29, 2004 2:35 AM ]

It's probable that Ugeth will head to Japan instead of the U.S. for the coming season. He's not recieving any MLB offers for his services, and time is ticking!

It will be a great for us (the Venezuelans) to watch Ugeth trowing his fast ball to the Japanese players!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 4, 2004 6:14 AM ]

Reports stated that Urbina's agent started talking with Japanese teams.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 17, 2004 3:27 PM ]

Urbina can "no doubt" become one of the best closers in NPB. I don't know how important they look at the closer's role. And I don't know how much the rest of closers are paid. But considering the amount of money Sasaki will receive, Urbina for $4 million is definitely a good choice for any team.

I don't know which teams his agent has talk to, but if he moves to NPB, I guess he will sign with the Giants. Since I think Giants are still looking for a closer, and I remember they were the first ones who brought out the "signing Sasaki from MLB" idea (am I correct?). However, I personally don't like Giants. So, if he joins NPB, I hope he will sign with the (Chyu-nich) Dragons, or maybe the (Hanshin) Tigers are good.

Anyway, I think it's good for NPB to sign players like Urbina, since they are losing top players to MLB, so they can keep up the balance by importing these player who are under-rated and/or missed signing to MLB.

As for his nickname, "ubi-chan" might be what he will be end up with, I think.
[ Author: Guest: john edwards | Posted: Mar 12, 2004 11:32 PM ]

Hey guys, I'm from USA! Ugueth Urbina is awesome! You need him! His name isn't hard to pronounce either! It's ew-geth herb-ina.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 12, 2004 11:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

- His name isn't hard to pronounce either! It's ew-geth herb-ina.

Except that the Japanese language doesn't have a "th" sound, and "herb" sounds more like "haa-boo."
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Mar 13, 2004 6:21 AM | HT Fan ]

It seems to me that the logical destination for Urbina is Seattle, now that Hama-no-Daimajin is back in 'Hama.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 13, 2004 11:44 PM ]

Though, Seattle has both Guardado and Hasegawa so there's really shouldn't be any room for Urbina there. Plus the Mariners probably don't want to shell out $4,000,000 plus to have another closer.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Mar 15, 2004 3:39 PM ]

How about the Tigers? The Detroit Tigers, that is. He should follow his battery mate to the only team that will overpay for a good but not great player. Last year, he pitched 77 innings in 72 appearances. For $4 million, that's $55,555/appearance, or $51,000/inning. Even for someone who strikes out a batter an inning, it's a tad steep.

If he has this attitude of money before team (who doesn't, you say?), I see bad things for Ugie in Japan, unless he pays for Valentine who can protect Ugie from himself.
[ Author: Guest: Matthew Mougalian | Posted: Mar 19, 2004 2:23 AM ]

I honestly don't see Urbina playing in Japan this year. I do think he'll either temper his salary and/or contract length demands and sign before the season, or hold out and sign with a team that discerns a need for a top-notch closer later on. Only a few years ago, MLB teams would have clammored to sign a front-line closer for (only!) $4 million a year. Oh, how times have changed.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 26, 2004 7:34 AM ]

Urbina signed a one year deal with the [Detroit] Tigers. The contract also had an option for 2005.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.