Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Daisuke Matsuzaka Update?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Daisuke Matsuzaka Update?
Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus included the following piece about Matsuzaka in his Friday column:

Daisuke Matsuzaka, the Japanese Olympic ace, came back to Seibu and promptly struck out 16. It took him an unfortunate 149 pitches to accomplish this, and I'm guessing that even with his extra rest, he wasn't given the same advantages Jason Schmidt had when he went long in a couple starts earlier this season. Matsuzaka is expected to come to the U.S. next season. Let's hope he has an arm left to show off.

Have any of you heard any solid reports that Matsuzaka is likely coming to MLB in 2005? How does he project? I know that this may mostly be rumors at this point, but we all can usually smell out either a legit story or a false rumor.

Thanks, any insight is appreciated!

Comments
Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka Update?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 9:10 AM ]

The main thing is, will Seibu post him this off season? I doubt that Seibu will post him. There is a nine-year free agency rule in the NPB, so unless Seibu posts him, I don't see him in the majors next year.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 10:30 AM ]

He's only in his sixth year, so I doubt he'll be posted for 2005. The only reason I could see for doing so now would be if he were having such a good year his value would not likely ever be higher (even in that case it would be questionable), and 9-6 with a 2.99 ERA in 135+ innings just ain't that kind of season.

Jim Albright
[ Author: japfan | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 4:40 PM ]

I read somewhere that there was an agreement to send Matsuzaka to the New York Mets' spring training just like Norihiro Nakamura did last year with the Dodgers.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.