Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Darvish to be Posted Rumor

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Darvish to be Posted Rumor
I first saw over at Japan Baseball Daily that Darvish may be posted after 2008. I then searched Nikkan Sports, Sports Hochi, Sponichi, and Jiji News, coming up with nothing more than "Darvish threw 44 pitches today." If there were talks about Darvish being posted, it'd be all over the place.

Well, I finally found where this rumor appears to be starting, Sankei Sports leads with the headline "ダルビッシュ、世界のエースも夢じゃない!メジャー移籍OK" ("Darvish, World Ace Doesn't Have to be a Dream! Going to the Majors is OK").

My only words for this is "sensationalist journalism." Other sports dailies will probably follow with their own very creative stories tomorrow after seeing the frenzy that this one causes.
Comments
Re: Darvish to be Posted Rumor
[ Author: Guest: Really Off Topic | Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:46 AM ]

I understand this rumor was even repeated by Peter Gammons in his ESPN Insider column. I guess the good news is that Japanese players are really getting their due respect. In a way, it's good to see all this interest, although mostly for the potential of jumping to the ML.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 8, 2008 3:11 AM | CLM Fan ]

As much as I hate to say it, NPB needs more Igawa-like failures to scare players from going over to MLB. It's just ridiculous how many players are asking to be posted, though I think making players wait 9 full ichi-gun years to attain free agency is even more ridiculous.

It's like being too strict on a child and keeping him or her completely oblivious to the temptations of life, rather than having the child confront them head on. That kid is gone with the first chance they get without being scolded.

Ultimately, I don't think NPB can ever compete with the inflated MLB salaries. The lack of salary caps is leading to a ridiculous amount of money being spent on players. NPB seems to keep a 5-oku roof on their salaries, and that's just not enough to compete with MLB money.
OT: Igawa Unwanted
[ Author: Guest: Sean Serritella Yankees Daily | Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:59 PM ]

Igawa has been performing very poorly for the Yankees. A lot of Yankee fans don't want him on the team anymore because every time he pitches he gets rocked, but the Yankees can't cut him because they gave him a lot of money.

YankeesDaily
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Feb 8, 2008 10:39 PM ]

Let's see if Yu Darvish can stay healthy for at least two more seasons before discussing his prospects for the major leagues. I can't see him going before the 2010 season at the earliest.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 9, 2008 9:34 AM | YBS Fan ]

It's now been two days, and none of the other sports dailies have picked up on this headline. If none of the other dailies are willing to report such claims, even for the headline effect, then it's most likely a non-story.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Mar 1, 2008 4:40 PM ]

The story I have read about this is that the posting of Darvish was approved by the Nippon Ham GM, who was quoted as saying such. I think the idea is ridiculous, but Nippon Ham may be looking at the size of the payday. Masato Yoshii's evaluation of him in the New York Times will only heighten that further.

Nevertheless, it will now be up to Yu-kun to formally ask for it. We'll have to see if that happens.
OT: Igawa
[ Author: YankeesDaily | Posted: Mar 8, 2008 5:56 AM ]

Well, Igawa did very well yesterday, so you know how fans are, it's "what have you done for me lately?" and if he can keep it up, he'll be accepted.

YankeesDaily

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 9, 2008 1:05 AM ]

Darvish was quoted as saying that he didn't want to play in the USA. Understandable given the USA's posturing towards Iran (his father's homeland).

If he says he won't play over here, I do believe that this will temper the posting fee amounts considered.

And given that, posting fees are non-binding, if a player has been posted by his current squad, paid for, and he refuses the contract offer by the team paying the posting fee, is he still able to play in Japan as a free agent? Or must he find another league to play in?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 9, 2008 8:15 AM | YBS Fan ]

First of all, there is no risk of losing money by bidding for a player and the player not signing. If the player does not sign, the money is returned (or no money changes hands - I'm not sure about the timing between paying the posting fee and signing the player). So there is no reason for posting fees to be tempered.

Secondly, if a player refuses to sign with the team posting the highest bid, the player remains with his team. Unlike the Millar Scandal a few years ago, Japanese players are not placed on waivers first.

In fact, after posting a player, the team posting him retains his rights in Japan until he has completed his 9 years of service in Japan. So if Ichiro decides to return to Japan, Orix has controlling interest in him. (That may change if/when the anticipated number of years to free agency is shortened. So those of you who come across this post after March of 2008 will need to take other factors into account before repeating the above. I expect "real" journalists to fact check with the Commissioner's Office.)

I hope this clears some things up.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 14, 2008 4:25 AM ]

This may just be the American media catching on to the Darvish posting rumors, but today, ESPN posted this article titled "Dice-K 2.0."

Can anyone confirm the information in this article, the writer claims that there is a better than 50:50 chance Darvish will be posted, or is this just ESPN running with this rumor?
[ Author: BrianPie | Posted: May 16, 2008 5:03 AM | YG Fan ]

From the television piece on Japanese Baseball it appears Darvish will be posted since he will fetch a high posting fee. It was on "Outside the Lines" on ESPN and was quite interesting talking about baseball in both countries.
[ Author: hillsy | Posted: May 20, 2008 12:30 AM | CD Fan ]

Like Westbay-san previously mentioned, just because the posting fee could be high, doesn't guarantee Darvish will be posted. There are other factors the Fighters will surely take into consideration.

I liked the article, but thought the title was a little lame. I realize it's to give an American audience something to relate to, but it's sensationalist and a little lazy.
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Sep 20, 2008 1:16 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

Any new rumors surrounding Darvish going to MLB this next season?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 20, 2008 9:54 AM | YBS Fan ]

Nothing has changed. The only people saying that he'll be posted are those who know nothing about Japanese baseball. In fact, that would be a good way to spot such research-adverse reporters.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 22, 2008 12:03 AM ]

Thanks. You're it Westbay.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.