Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2005 Asia Cup?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
2005 Asia Cup?
According to an article over on Nifty Sports, The Yomiuri Shinbum is reporting that there might be a possible "Asia Cup" next year after the Nippon Series, with the winners of Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and China facing off in a tournament. If it happens, it would only take place in alternate years.

I would love to see this, but I don't think China is ready to compete yet against the other Asian teams after watching them in the Asian Olympic Qualyfing tournament last year.

Another interesting note, it happens every other year, and if it starts next year, it would happen every year the Major League All Stars don't come to Japan. Hmm, gotta wonder about that.

Here's the article for those of you that read Japanese: [Link - Nifty Sports]
Comments
Re: 2005 Asia Cup?
[ Author: WayneMcGwire | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 3:53 PM ]

Several weeks ago when I was reading the UDN newspaper (Link - Chinese), I also heard that some people were talking about this Cup. But in my memory, there is no "China" in the Cup. The Cup itself will be a good idea except the quality of the game played by teams not equally rated. It is possible, just a possibility, for NPB players to see other players in action as a joke. But for CPBL and KBO, it's definitely the best chance for them to improve themselves.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 2:01 AM | HAN Fan ]

In the 1990s, the CPBL (Taiwan), KBO (Korea), NPB (Japan), and the Australian All-Stars would play a Super Major Series in Japan on odd-numbered years. Then the MLB All-Stars would play against the NPB team on even-numbered years.
[ Author: WayneMcGwire | Posted: Nov 1, 2004 4:11 PM ]

The same newspaper, UDN, reported the news recently which states that NPB, CPBL, KBO, and China will play the Cup. But I personally anad strongly suggest that they should have a tournament with the CL, PL, CPBL, and KBO instead of considering China - if the reason is that they just want to have four teams to play. Frankly speaking, although CPBL and KBO are generally thought of as a bit below the level of CL and PL, they are well-established leagues at least.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.