Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where did Israel Alcantara Go?

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Where did Israel Alcantara Go?
I wonder, where has President Lions' outfielder Israel Alcantara gone? He's hitting .322 with 15 home runs and 38 RBIs through 44 games.

Meanwhile, the Sinon Bulls have signed 32 year old right hander Bradley Guy.
Comments
Re: Where did Israel Alcantara Go?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 8:40 AM ]

- I wonder, where has President Lions' outfielder Israel Alcantara gone? He's hitting .322 with 15 home runs and 38 RBIs through 44 games.

Who knows these days? People are released in Taiwan like this even when there hitting like Alcantara. I mean Taiwanese teams move people around like this all the time. I would have to guess he was let go, but am not certain.

Maybe he can get a spot in Japan or Korea next year with these numbers, or Alcantara will return to the minors in the States or play in Mexico.
[ Author: Guest: TuKuTu | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 2:35 AM ]

Izzy is now here in Mexico, playing for the Aguila de Veracruz...

I wonder why his team in taiwan relese him...but here in Mexico Izzy has a pretty good reputation and he is doing well now..
[ Author: Guest: joe | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 8:16 AM ]

from what i heard he had a slump...not a bad one though
and there is no defensive position for him on the team. he can only DH.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 8:19 AM ]

"and there is no defensive position for him on the team. he can only DH."

Alcantara to my best knowledge is a outfielder.
[ Author: Guest: joe | Posted: Jul 15, 2005 2:33 AM ]

what im saying is that lions have 3 good [actually 4] young taiwanese OFs they would like to develope, thus making no room for alcantara to play on the field.

but i personally think it's more of a managerial decision.
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 12:05 AM ]

here's why they released him:

in the first half season, izzy's batting has netted the lions alot of of points. the problem was the points he was contributing werent enough to make up for the amount of points lost by the pitchers. plus, izzy played DH so he was basically 1/2 of a player.

and since in cpbl, only 4 foreign players are allowed on each team, they decided to release izzy and look for stronger foreign pitchers.

problem is they still havent found any. =P
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 11:47 PM ]

Nope, it's because the Lions suspected him being involved with gambling.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 30, 2005 7:51 AM ]

- [...] it's because the Lions suspected him being involved with gambling.

That makes perfect sense to me, as gambling has seemed to resurface again as a problem in the CPBL. It's a sad turn of events for the group of players who actually play the game the right way, to have people gamble and ruin the game for everyone because of a few people.
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: Aug 1, 2005 12:00 AM ]

Only one player (La New Bear catcher) was ejected from CPBL. One or two ameateur baseball coaches were also involved. Otherwise, the rest of the people are clean - for now.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.