Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

CPBL Teams Want Chen

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
CPBL Teams Want Chen
Numerous CPBL teams have said they would like to have the services of Dodgers' outfielder Chin-Feng Chen. Chen was designated for assignment July 23rd, cleared waivers, and is back with AAA Las Vegas. Chen is batting .289 with 12 home runs and 51 RBI this year with Las Vegas.

Some teams have said they're willing to bid up to $500,000 USD for Chen (which is 2-3 times higher than the average CPBL player). The CPBL decided to meet earlier to determine the eligibility and rights to draft players such as Chen when they played in other countries and are released outright by their teams.

The President Lions are said to be the favorites for Chen, as they're close to the city of Tainan where Chen came from and his brother, Chen Lien-hong, is a outfielder with the team.

[Full Story - E-Taiwan News] [Minor League Stats]

[Fixed link on Aug 5, 2005 6:20 PM, JST]
Comments
Re: CPBL Teams Want Chen
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 12:43 PM ]

I really have to believe that Chen is going to Japan before even considering Taiwan. I know his brother is on the President Lions, but Chin-feng still has something to prove. He could do that in Japan. With the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chen wasn't given much of an opportunity.

With the number of foreign hitters that haven't had much success in Japan (ie. Luis Lopez, Damon Minor, etc.) some team must be willing to try Chen out.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 4:59 PM | YBS Fan ]

I recall recently reading something about excluding one Asian from the foreign player limit per team next season. I've been scanning though a couple of weeks of Nikkan Sports, so I don't really have the details - or it may have been something posted here. Anyway, such a move could make Japan the destination for more Asians like Chen. Since Taiwan is considering restricting foreign imports further, I don't think that they'll be happy to lose such talent to Japan.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 5:57 PM ]

The above article said many are convincing Chen may play in Japan instead of his native Taiwan. In Japan they say he could command a higher salary and play at a higher playing level.

Chen, I remember when Los Angeles signed him back in 1998 and made his debut in 1999, was supposed to have a great opportunity to play. Sadly, the Dodgers haven't gave Chen that chance at all. Over his career he's batted a total of 22 times in 4 years. This is hardly a opportunity for him. Chen is getting up on age at 28, greatly reducing a chance to play in the majors.

- With the number of foreign hitters that haven't had much success in Japan (ie. Luis Lopez, Damon Minor, etc.) some team must be willing to try Chen out.

Chen, in my opinion, would be the perfect player in Japan for a team like Rakuten or Orix next year. I think numerous teams would rush to sign Chen if given the chance to.

- I recall recently reading something about excluding one Asian from the foreign player limit per team next season.

From the article I posted [Link - Google Cache] it said the CPBL plans on cutting the amount of foreign players from 4 to 2 for the 2006-07 season. I'm not so sure Chen would be included in that group as he's of Taiwanese descent. Chen, I think, would be subject to a draft if he would decide to play in the CPBL though.
Excluding One Asian
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 6:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

I'm afraid I didn't make my statement about the Asian foreign limit exclusion clear. That was in Japan that this is being considered, not Taiwan.

Sorry about the confusion.
Further Limits in Taiwan
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Aug 6, 2005 6:39 AM ]

Yeah, limiting the foreign quota to two is good for the CPBL. Most of the foreign players they bring in do not perform up to their capabilities anyway.

The CPBL's priorities should be local players first. The foreigners can play in the indepedent leagues in America.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.