Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Baseball League in China

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Pro Baseball League in China
I was just wondering, what would the level of play in the China league be compared to in the States? How much do foreign players get paid in China?
Comments
Re: Pro Baseball League in China
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 9, 2004 10:40 AM ]

- How much do foreign players get paid in China?

There isn't a reasonable estimate because, as many know, not many foreign players, if any at all, want to play in Communist-mainland China. I don't want to argue about Communism because that isn't irrevelant. But foreign players don't want to play in the People's Republic of China.
[ Author: Guest: Jay | Posted: Sep 9, 2004 5:59 PM ]

they get paid around $1000 per month. Foreigners are allowed. I think two per roster (give or take one). China is a nice place. I have visited it and there would be no problems.

As a joke, I thought it is called the Peoples Republic of China. I do not want a political argument either, just a joke.

Jay
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Sep 9, 2004 10:45 PM | HAN Fan ]

Here is the thread in this forum on professional baseball in mainland China from the first year of the league: [Link]

The mainland China baseball league is to be differentiated from Taiwan's "Chinese Professional Baseball League."
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Sep 10, 2004 1:14 AM | HNHF Fan ]

A Japanese pitcher (former Seibu player) is pitching in China.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Sep 10, 2004 10:54 AM | HAN Fan ]

MSNBC had a August 4, 2004 article [Link] on the China Baseball Association. Beijing Tigers, Guangdong Leopards, Shanghai Eagles, and the Tianjin Lions make up the CBA.

Players receive between $600 and $1,000 per month in a country that has an average national income of $316 per year. There is a three foreign player limit. The CBA has players from the Dominican Republic, Japan, Puerto Rico and the U.S.A.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Sep 10, 2004 2:46 PM ]

Former Lion as well as Former Yankee, Kats Maeda, is who you're referring to.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Sep 14, 2004 6:45 AM ]

Their skill compared to the States is like the Rookie Leagues. Most pitchers throw at around 130 km (82 mph).
[ Author: Guest: Jay | Posted: Sep 14, 2004 5:35 PM ]

I am sure the rookie leagues is much better than the level of baseball in mainland China. I would give Chinese baseball maybe D2 college ball ranking.

Rookie league is actually pretty good ball. The average fastball is a touch above 82. Also, for the simple fact of knowledge and growing up with the game, they are no where near rookie ball.
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Sep 18, 2004 8:58 AM ]

I'm sure there are some good players in China. 25 year old right-hander Chengan Lu played for four years in Japan (1999-2002) with the Chunichi Dragons before going back to China. Japanese teams must have thought highly of him in order to sign him. Lu is currently playing with the Tianjin Lions.

The official web site for the China Baseball League is up at cbl.org.cn. It will be available in English and Japanese soon.

Baseball's not that popular on mainland China. Over there it's more about soccer and basketball. China should stick to producing NBA players like Yao Ming.
[ Author: Guest: baseball-student | Posted: Sep 26, 2004 11:44 AM ]

Dear Sir,

I'm the baseball-lover. I want to know the names and web sites or e-mail addresses for the teams in the baseball league in China, and the schools that teach baseball. So, can you help me and tell me about those things?

Thank you very much. I look forward to receiving your reply!
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Sep 27, 2004 4:09 AM ]

I only know the names of the schools in mainland China that have baseball teams. Here they are in Chinese:

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.