Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rojas and Silva in CPBL

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Rojas and Silva in CPBL
The Sinon Bulls have signed right hander Melquiades Rojas out of the Mexican Leagues. He had a 2.08 ERA in 20 GP (21.2 IP) with Estrellas.

Meanwhile, the Makoto Cobras have signed 20 year old righty Tiago Silva.
Comments
Re: Rojas and Silva in CPBL
[ Author: WayneMcGwire | Posted: Oct 8, 2004 9:03 PM ]

I just can not know who those two players you referred to are. Maybe that's a long-existing problem about "player naming" in CPBL. Unlike NPB, players in CPBL will have the chance to be re-named to a totally different name than his original. Some teams even assign the company product name as player's name, which I don't think it makes any sense.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 9, 2004 8:11 AM ]

One of them is former Expos closer Mel Rojas if I'm not mistaken. You can take a look at the Bulls' team roster here [CPBL in Chinese with Roman alphabet for foreign players] and see if this Rojas is the same one. His weight is close to the one listed on Rojas' page at the MLBPA [Link].
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Oct 11, 2004 9:16 AM ]

Yes, Mel Rojas' real name is Melquiades.
[ Author: Deviant | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 12:20 AM ]

That's the right Mel. He was the closer on the Bridgeport Bluefish (an Independant League) in 2004. Guess who used to be on the Blueflish with him - Brian Warren! The closer that Mel replaced on the Bulls when Brian left.
[ Author: Guest: kennywur | Posted: Oct 30, 2004 2:10 AM ]

Only the Bulls do that. Rojas was renamed "Shin Feng Kanf(?)," one of their company's product.

That's a specialty of the Taiwanese culture: Due to the impatience of using foreign players, many fans do not even care about their name.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.