President Lions:
Pitchers Douglas Linton, Michael Garcia, and Toshinide Narimoto;
Outfielder Israel Alscantara

Makoto Cobras:
To be announced
Comments
Re: 2005 CPBL Foreign Players
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Mar 30, 2005 1:48 PM ]

Could the CPBL finally be on its way back to respectability? Both Victor Rodriguez and Israel Alcantara put up some big numbers in the minors last season.

Rodriguez hit .371 with 25 HRs and 111 RBIs in 119 games with the Somerset Patriots of the independent Atlantic League last season. Meanwhile, Alcantara batted .316 with 27 HRs and 81 RBIs with Vaqueros Alguna. Two seasons ago, he played in Triple A and he has hit 36 dingers there before. If he plays well he could end up in Japan with the kind of power he has.

Besides Alcantara, the President Lions also have a former Major Leaguer in Doug Linton and welcomed back closer Michael Garcia, who had a 0.71 ERA and 26 saves.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 11:31 AM ]

Israel Alcantara also has put up big numbers in AAA and AA, too. However, Alcantara is also the same person who charged the mound and kicked a pitcher.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 8:39 AM ]

Wow! I didn't know Linton and Alcantara are having Taiwan as one of their stops in their baseball careers. Alcantara was cool as heck when I met him few years back. He did kick the catcher then charge the mound. But wouldn't you, if you're the best hitter of the International League and some punk pitcher throw 2 straight fastball that almost hit your head?

Good Luck to both Doug and Izzy. I hope they'll enjoy Taiwanese culture this coming up year.
[ Author: Guest: unknown baseball guru | Posted: May 28, 2005 12:53 PM ]

Harold Woodman's age is working against him, and he also seems to be a bit lazy. An attraction to the path of least resistance will not help. Harold should retire soon. Hopefully the organization will discover his steroid usage and cut the cord. From my understanding, it's not required to maintain an erection to play baseball, maybe he will last a couple more months.
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: May 29, 2005 10:11 PM ]

What teams has Harold Woodman played for previously?

Alcantara's doing pretty good here in Taiwan. Leads all other batters in the league with 14 homers. He hit two yesterday.
[ Author: Guest: unknown baseball guru | Posted: May 29, 2005 11:21 PM ]

Harold Woodman is a veteran of the Schaumburg Flyers, an independent Northern League. Last spring he was playing in the Mexican League, but was released due to steroid use and an arm injury. He resumed the season with the flyers and had arm surgery in October of 2004.

A lot of these foreign players in Taiwan are in their mid-late thirties, not major league material for a scout. Because they are foreigners, the expectations to excel are very high. Harold did very well last season for the Flyers, now he is like a fish out of water. I know for a fact Harold Woodman used steroids after his surgery.
[ Author: Guest: geust | Posted: May 31, 2005 1:12 PM ]

I agree, Harold Woodman is a loser. What is he doing in the orginization anyways?
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: May 31, 2005 9:00 PM ]

Being a soso pitcher.
[ Author: Guest: guru | Posted: Jul 7, 2005 7:18 AM ]

Hank Woodman was released. Good.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.