Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Franchise Hall of Fame Project

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
Franchise Hall of Fame Project
I've done this with Major League teams, and I wonder if there would be any interest in doing this with Japanese teams. There are two ways to approach it:
  1. Nominate a fixed group of players (and if we want, contributors like managers, front office types, or broadcast guys). Now nominate would mean actually putting together a case as to why the individual belongs in the franchise HOF. Advantages are that I'd be willing to do this with a six vote minimum to elect, and every franchise would have one round. A drawback is that I'm not going to do every case for consideration, unless we relied on my franchise all-time team articles as a starting point.

2. Allow voters 15 votes for players and 5 for contributors, rotating among the teams. This would require the greater of six votes or 75% of all votes cast to elect a candidate. I'd prefer eight voters in this format, but can live with six. Cases wouldn't be needed for everyone (do we really need to explain why Sadaharu Oh or Shigeo Nagashima belong in the Giant HOF?). We probably would hold multiple rounds of voting. One drawback is that the voting for the franchises would be broken up.

At this point, I want to gauge the interest level, because I really want at least six people committed to doing this for at least most of the franchises.

I think I'd deal with the Buffaloes and other old time teams that merged by making the seasons with the merged teams eligible for the currently existing franchise. Rakuten is too new to be included, so we'd be looking at 11 franchises.

So, is there any interest?
Comments
Re: Franchise Hall of Fame Project
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 18, 2012 11:15 PM | YBS Fan ]

I can collect a number of magazines/books (mooks) that cover this topic. Baseball Magazine Sha has done a number of specials on the best players from each franchise, so that would certainly be a good starting point.

What I can't promise right now is much time. My wife points out that I'm trying to please everyone, and in doing so, am ending up pleasing no one as I don't have enough time to dedicate to all of the projects that I would like to help with. As much as I'd like to participate in such a panel, I'm afraid that I'll have to pass at this time. Please understand.
Re: Franchise Hall of Fame Project
[ Author: jalbright | Posted: Apr 19, 2012 8:49 AM ]

I'm not sure there's enough people willing to commit to the effort, and that's why I'm asking first. I will throw out there the alternative of just a NPB HOF of our choosing. In any event, I need enough voters to make it worthwhile. I'll lead the project if we have the interest, in case that wasn't clear.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.