Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Batting Cages?

Discussion in the Play Ball! forum
Batting Cages?
I did a search on the forum but couldn't find any threads about batting cages in Japan. I was wondering if there'd be any interest in starting a thread where we could list batting cages in Japan, for people who want to practice their swing or whatever.

I found one in Saitama over the weekend that only costs 100 yen for 15 balls!

I don't have a concrete idea as to how this should be done, but if it is a thread or forum, then perhaps a listing separated by prefecture might work? Of course it would mean that people from all over Japan would have to contribute, as I only know a few in the Tokyo area myself. But if enough people contribute, then it will be easy to find cages for those who don't speak Japanese, and are itching to take a swing.

I'm thinking the information for each cage location (or batting center as they are called here) should include the nearest train station along with the train line, and easy directions on how to get there from the station. If possible, as much detailed information would also be appreciated, such as prices for 1 round of batting, pitch speeds that are available, whether the center uses video pitchers or just a net in front of the machine, and whether there are special deals available such as a discount for buying 4 rounds or more, and also what other amenities the center has. Some centers also have the "Perfect Pitching" game where you usually get 12 balls to hit 9 panels in a 3x3 set up.

I think I have only ever seen one place that offers softball pitching machines, but I can't remember where it was.

What does everyone else think? Where are the batting cages?

[Moved from Administration forum.]
Comments
Re: Batting Cages?
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Jun 19, 2005 12:22 PM | FSH Fan ]

Wow. I'm surprised that you have had trouble finding batting cages in Japan. They seemed pretty easy to find when I lived in Japan.

Mostly I was in Okinawa, so I can give you locations there. Batting cages can be found in Okuma, Naha, Chatan, Okinawa City, and Haebura. There are a few other citys that had them, but I can't think of all of them right now.

My favorite place on island to hit batting cages by far is in Haebura (near Naha) called "Southern Hill Amusement Center." It boasts 16 batting cages (14 of which were fast pitch). This place is awesome beause they also have 13 Karaoke rooms, Izakaya with 50+ tables, 36 lane bowling alley, and in the center of it all is 90 by 180 foot ice skating rink. Yeah, you can go ice skating year round in Okinawa. They had so many people going into the skating part of the facility that they started to charge a 200 yen fee to just stand and watch.

The only problem is in late night batting. It seems like the people from the Izakaya start to spill over into the batting cages. Actually at times that can be pretty entertaining in itself. I believe the hours of operation was 12pm - 2am weekdays and 10am - 4am Friday and Saturday.

I am also aware of batting cages in Fukuoka just outside of "Hawkstown" in a place called "Wonder Park." I went there once after a Hawks game. At that time [... truncated post? Not deleted by Admin.]
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 19, 2005 8:20 PM | YAK Fan ]

Actually, in Tokyo I've never had a problem finding batting cages, I was just thinking to start a project about getting a listing in English of all the batting centers in Japan, for those who don't speak the language very well.

I know of at least 6 or 7 myself, but I haven't actually taken notes or anything to write up a good description with directions or anything, so I started this thread to see if there would be any interest in getting a list compiled, for easy reference for newcomers to Japan and what not.
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Jun 21, 2005 12:51 PM | FSH Fan ]

Sorry man. I should have read your comment more carefully. If there is anything I can do to help out just ask.
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Jul 8, 2005 3:08 AM | HT Fan ]

Another thing worth adding would be a "blacklist" of those thoughtless batting cages that offer only right-handed batter's boxes in their efforts to save space. At one batting center I went to, there were five cages, but only one had both boxes, and that one didn't have the pitcher film screen behind it (which is the main attraction of paying Y150 or more for just 10 pitches).

In the US, I can't imagine a right handed-only batting cage!
[ Author: Guest: Alan | Posted: Jul 16, 2005 10:48 AM ]

Could someone give me some directions to a batting cage please. I live in Kanazawa Hakkei, so anywhere in Yokohama or Yokosuka would be great.
It will be my first time, so if anyone could explain how to hit the ball (or get it to go slowly) that would be great!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jul 19, 2005 11:25 AM | YAK Fan ]

I don't live in Yokohama, but looking on the internet I found one place that's near JR Yokohama station.

The place is called Yokohama Sports Plaza (link in Japanese only). Translating the directions from the homepage, access can be made from the West exit of Yokohama station. There should be a Okadaya More-s on the right side, and then you head up to ground level in that direction. On the road in-between Okadaya More-s and the Yokohama Excel Hotel Tokyu, head towards Tsuruyachou. Once you pass under the expressway over head, you should see a Mos Burger. If you take a right at the alley in front of Mos Burger, the entrance to Yokohama Sports Plaza should be on the left.

I hope I got the directions right. If you want to be safe, maybe you could print out this map, and bring it with just in case, so you can ask for help. It looks pretty close to the station, and hopefully it should be a pretty big building.

The batting cages should be on the 2nd floor, with pitching game areas on the 3rd. The 3rd floor also should have soccer, basketball, ping pong, and tennis areas according to the homepage. It looks like you have to buy a prepaid card to play, and the speeds for the cages should be written above them. The homepage states that the speeds are from 70-125 kph, with 7 different cages, each a different set speed. 1 game includes 21 pitches.

Prices for the pre-paid cards are
300 yen for 1 game,
500 yen for 2 games,
1,000 yen for 4 games,
2,000 yen for 9 games, and
3,000 yen for 15 games
[ Author: Guest: Alan | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 7:28 PM ]

Thanks so much. Will go this weekend and let you know how I get on.
[ Author: Guest: Alan | Posted: Jul 24, 2005 10:17 AM ]

Thanks for posting the info for the place in Yokohama, spent a very enjoyable few hours there yesterday. Really good fun, but you can quickly spend a few thousand yen without realising! The 145kph pitch is pretty difficult to see, never mind hit!
Thanks again. It was just a shame that the massive (by my standards) earthquake had to come along and make it difficult for me to get home!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 12:00 PM | YAK Fan ]

Glad you liked it. I happened to be in Yokohama on Saturday for a different matter, but I had some time so I decided to check the place out for myself as well. It turns out that the directions I wrote down can be a little confusing. After going up the West exit stairs from Yokohama Station, head right and you'll see the More's building and Tokyu Hotel. Also, the Mos Burger sign is a little difficult to see with all the trees, so you should look for the am/pm sign, and Mos Burger will be right across the street.

I'm not really a big fan of the video screen pitching machines, because even the slightest delay from when the pitcher finishes his windup to when the ball actually comes out can throw off your timing. I did happen to see one guy try out the 145 kph cage when I was there. Was that you, with a couple of other people also playing darts right next to the cages? I was the guy with the white hat on backwards.
[ Author: jss328 | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 2:13 AM | CD Fan ]

There is also a batting cage at the Tokyo Dome. I can't remember exactly where it was, but I think it was on the 4th floor of the building where the arcade is located. There is a bowling alley up there on the left out of the elevators, and a batting cage/sports area to the right. There are soccer cages, a ping pong cage (if you can call it that), a putting/chipping cage, 2 pitching cages (12 balls to hit 9 targets in a strike zone 60 feet away - very cool), and many, many batting cages.

If I remember right, each batting cage represented a different pitcher on the Giants' roster, and you got to see the ball come out from a videoscreen of the Giants pitcher throwing to you. I think each cage had pitches specific to that pitcher as well. I remember looking completely silly on an occasional curve ball and cutter.

The pricing was similar to a previous post. You pay maybe 1,000 yen, and you got maybe 4 plays out of it. A little pricy, but definitely a cool place.

Also, downstairs somewhere was a Giants pro shop, where you could also buy goods for every other team.

Really, nothing beats batting in the cages at Tokyo Dome at 2:30 in the afternoon during the week with a bunch of guys still in shirts and ties that should probably be at work.
[ Author: Guest: Koya | Posted: Oct 11, 2005 11:07 AM ]

I'm looking for a batting center in Tokyo. I only know one, it is the one at the Tokyo Dome. It isn't so great because there is no space at all, it is very small.

So I was wondering if you guys could help finding one where you can see your ball going far away! (Well maybe not for me but ....) It seems like you know a lot of them.

Thank you so much for your help!
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 17, 2005 6:15 PM | HAN Fan ]

The one at Jingu (across from the Swallow's stadium at their training ground) is very, very good - around 14 cages and a choice of pitchers (Uehara, Igawa, Matsuzaka - that sort of things). 1,000 yen for 60 pitches which can be taken in batches of 20 and balls up to 130km/h.
[ Author: Guest: itzon205 | Posted: Nov 14, 2009 9:36 PM ]

There's one in Yokosuka called Swings. It's close to the Yokosuka Naval Base, about a mile from the base. At Swings you can get a chance hit 20 pitches for only 1,000 yen. They have a variety of pitches and speeds you can choose from. And if you hit a home run you get a free ticket for 20 pitches. That's not bad, and they take a picture of you and place it on the Hall of Fame wall.
[ Author: Guest: yokonavy | Posted: Dec 5, 2009 8:43 AM ]

Do you have directions to Swings? I can't seem to find it!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Dec 8, 2009 3:12 PM | YAK Fan ]

yokonavy-san, I don't see a map in English, but here's one to the place in Japanese (the red star on the map).

I'm not too familiar with the Yokosuka area myself, but it looks to be close to Umikaze Kouen (park) and near the store Livin and Autobacks, just off of route 246.

Again, this is Japanese, but Google maps provides a little more detail: Google Maps Japan Link.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 1, 2016 6:37 PM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

The prices at S.Wings (right next to the Homes and across the street from Livin'" is 300 Yen for 20+ pitches. They have 2 cages for 70KM, one 80KM, 1 90KM and a 130KM cage.
[ Author: Guest: Brittany Ourso | Posted: May 3, 2010 5:22 PM ]

[I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.]

Where can I find a batting cage near the military bases in Okinawa Japan? I am in the military, live on Camp Hansen and would love to go to the batting cages, but I cant find one near. Does anyone know of one close? I don't have a car.

Thanks.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jul 21, 2010 2:10 PM | YAK Fan ]

Sorry for the late reply Brittany Ourso.

I've never been to Okinawa, but after researching a little bit through Google, I think the nearest one to Camp Hansen is probably up North in Nago City.
Nago Ballpark
Ohkita 5-22-5
Nago-shi, Okinawa-ken 905-0019
TEL: 0980-43-7485

Maybe if you give that address to somebody on base who knows the area they might be able to tell you how to get there?

Other than that one you'd have to go further down south to Ginowan or farther for the other batting centers, at least what I could find.
[ Author: Guest: Keiko | Posted: Jun 7, 2010 10:46 AM ]

Anybody know who is the distributor of the batting machines?
[ Author: Guest: newbie | Posted: Jul 17, 2010 11:29 AM ]

Does anyone know if there is a list of batting centres around Hakone, Isawa and Toyko? I'm going there for a study trip sometime soon.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jul 21, 2010 2:25 PM | YAK Fan ]

I checked briefly around Hakone, but I couldn't find anything too close. It looks like there's plenty of golf driving ranges, but no batting cages from what I can see. It looks like you might have to travel to Yokohama, Atsugi, Hiratsuka, or Sagamihara.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 12, 2012 2:17 PM ]

[Reviving old thread.]

Here is one that is in Shinjuku, Tokyo. They're a lot easier to find in less urban areas; but this one seems pretty decent. (4/2012)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.