Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Possible solution to PYS4 frame rate issues

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Possible solution to PYS4 frame rate issues
You won't believe this. This probably explains why so many opinions were split down the middle concerning frame rate issues in PYS4. Some people said they were terrible(such as myself) and others were wondering what the heck those people were talking about. Well, after reading boards on Winning Eleven, another Konami sports game, I believe I may have found a fix that cuts down frame rate skips considerably.

People were posting about how the 2.00 PS3 firmware update and deleting the installed Winning Eleven files helped frame rate a lot. Seeing how so many things seem similar between the two games, I had nothing to lose. The worst thing that could happen is no change and I'd have to re-install the game.

Well, I deleted the more than 2 gig install file for PYS4. It didn't really speed up the terrible load times, so it wasn't much of a loss. I loaded up Hanshin vs. Kyojin at Koshien during night time. I immediately notice that there is no slow down when I throw someone out on a routine grounder to short. There is also no skipping during infield pop ups. There's little change for cut scenes, and throws from the outfield still have noticeable skips from time to time. It still seems a lot smoother when the ball is hit to the outfield. Replays also look smoother. Field Play has no slowdown issues while playing defense or running bases.

I've tested this in both open stadiums and domes. Domes seem like they could be even better. I gave up a hit through the middle, dove for it with the shortstop, threw it back into the infield, and there wasn't a single skip. Most of my throws in the domes have gone through without a single frame rate problem. I did, however, see some fans magically put their arms through the wall in Sapporo Dome...

I re-installed the game and I think there's a difference. I don't know if I just went insane and I'm only believing it because I want to, but the installed version seems choppy. Maybe it has something to do with reading HD info while the game is playing. You'll see the HD LED light up in the middle of a play. This could be the source of the choppiness. I'm definitely seeing a difference on infield grounders. I highly advise EVERYONE with PYS4 installed on their PS3 to delete that file and try it out running from the disc alone. Tell me if you feel a difference.

You know, if this is for real, how sad is that? This is something Konami definitely knows about, yet they don't let their fans in on it, because that would be admitting a mistake. How childish is that? I'm definitely going to play games on disc only before installing onto the HD from now on. This is ridiculous.

Comments
Re: Possible solution to PYS4 frame rate issues
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 23, 2007 1:58 PM | CLM Fan ]

Well, I played in a game in Tokyo Dome and the skips were pretty bad. I may not have noticed it before, since I don't play this game much anymore, but I think the frame rate issues differ with whatever ballpark you use.

I read some posts in Japanese about frame rate issues and the majority were complaints, yet there were a handful of people saying the game runs 100% smooth. Konami said that the new Winning Eleven runs totally smooth on HDTVs, so perhaps these are people running SDTVs? I play on 720p, but I use my wide screen computer monitor and not a real top quality HDTV. Every other PS3 game I've played has run totally smooth. Seems like Konami doesn't know how to program for PS3.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 23, 2007 11:01 PM ]

.... i have the korean version 80 gig ps3, and i don't see any skiping in pys4.... i haven't played winning eleven yet..... but i well soon, and see how that is like.
i really need it to say this.... no offenseto anyone out there, but i'm a hard core konami fan.
metal gear series, PYS, winning eleven, and even before all these games like contra, castlvania, gradius, and many many more titles....(especially winning eleven series, me being hardcore soccer fan)
i've been to fifa fan boys site or other gaming site and seen my favourite series get trashed on.... and it hurts... i even read that (from a gaming site...not all of them but a few) this year the winner is FIFA.... and that also hurt...

what i want to say is that, me personally think that konami "WELL" bounce back next year, and that they are going through a stage where they are trying to adjust.

if any of you feel or love konami for the fun and joy they have given us over the years... then you should stick by them through hard times....( i think i'm getting too deep here...lol)
for example if your favourite team in the JPB is the giants(by the way...i'm not lol) do you switch on them when they are doing so poor...or do you still cheer...

i love konami and i think we should just give them some time.... and they well come through!!!

me personally hate ea's FIFA.... in fact only game i like from them is NBA live....i used to like the NHL series, but i have moved on to the 2k series for hockey, and i'm not a big american football fan so i don't really play madden.

i know they are not providing the right stuff as of now, but i know that eventually they well.
i hope the they dont lose costumers over just one year of slump..... because thats just what it is.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 24, 2007 11:52 AM | CLM Fan ]

Winning Eleven might just be a year slump(I haven't considered myself a fan since WE7), and the people on evo-web.co.uk sure are angry. However, Pawapuro has been at a steady decline for three years now. That's a pretty long time for consecutive releases. That's six releases we looked forward to, only to be disappointed. Perhaps four of those will be unplayable if 14 Ketteiban doesn't change.

I personally think that once Konami got too much money and changed their classic orange and red logo to that boring red and white thing, it was just a matter of time before they became the Japanese version of EA. That means a poor level of programming and a complete disregard for what fans want. I've even seen people with very little knowledge on the Japanese game industry say that Konami has become the Japanese version of EA from their corporate responses to game issues that were published in English on gaming blogs.

Now, does this mean the entire company just simultaneous went down the toilet? I don't think so. I think some of the programmers are still very smart and talented. The executives, however, want as much money as possible. Games are getting a lot more expensive to develop and harder to turn a profit on. MGS4 is costing Konami a fortune to develop right now, I'm sure. They're stretching programming teams thin between projects and multi-platform releases. They want more profit by cutting things like three man stat research teams for each NPB team, but that just leads to bad stats and less sales with each year.

I think a whole entire development team at Konami still has integrity and the spirit of the old Konami, and that's the Pawapoke team. That's probably mostly due to the fact that the DS is a lot easier to program for than the PS3 and they don't have to spend all their time on individually creating each player's face. Now that most of the faces for players were already made for PYS4, hopefully Konami won't need to spend so much time on that for PYS5 and can address gameplay issues. When you see faces like Kawakami, it's hard to imagine how they could really improve upon that. I'd like to see them make the game totally smooth for everyone, as well as spice up the mechanics and AI. It's too robotic right now. Also, if Call Of Duty 4 and Rachet & Clank can run at 60 frames per second, there is no reason that a simple baseball game couldn't do that. Screw the full polygon crowds. I want 60 fps.
[ Author: supajap | Posted: Nov 25, 2007 5:32 AM ]

it was me who posted the 2nd message (forgot to log in ^^;; sorry)
i agree with most of the stuff you have said, but i think it's harsh to say KONAMI is becoming japan's EA.
(and when i mean EA i mean EA sports)

in my opinion EA was never good since the PS1 era, in fact even with PS1 i think they failed to upgrade from the 3rd generation systems.
i'll tell you why... i used to love EA games back in sega genisis and SNES times, like the NHL series, NBA live series, and even FIFA series!
it was too good... too beautiful... and too fast for it's time, remember other titles that competed with them?? they were s*** compared with what EA gave us.
there were simply no competition to EA sports.

i know what some of you are thinking, thats the reason probably why EA is lacking now, and KONAMI is going through the same thing... but i still see that they are trying... even with all the funding that they really really need being cut, so they may make more profits.

yes i see that EA is still trying as well... but not for a long time i have seen from or experience from them what i have back in SNES/genesis days....
they do still have the best NBA series, and NFL series...but they dont blow the competetion away like they used to.... that i know has alot to do with funding, and the other companies and programers have catched up. well me used to being EA fan it hurt to play 5th generation and FIFA games on PS1 after my experience i had with W11 series.... FIFA is always trying to change and improve thier gameplay engine to be more like W11, and on the other hand W11 has the same game play engine since PS1 days(just a few touches here and there as the series grew) but yet FIFA in my opinion is still no where near W11...

i used to be a big EA fan (not to there baseball titles, because i don't think any of them were any good...) but i might be contradicting myself from my first posting when i say i was fan no more after SNES/genesis days.

remember this... as of now are there any other baseball titles out there better than PYS or the pawapuro series....?? or even better soccer series than W11 series?? i know that they need to improve on alot of things, and fast!! but i think that they well in a strong way.

remember that first pawapuro and the first W11 for PS2 were a disappointments as well, but as then learned to program for the new generation it got better.(BigManZam, i know that you said that later pawapuro games on PS2 were a disappointing... but i think that they were just trying new things out..like sakusess mode and other things, and the quality of the game play has to do little with funding being cut, because the base program for the game play i'm sure they have kept it. i do see what you are saying, but remember that konami takes fans opinion and suggestions in japan when they make the newer versions of the games like WE and PYS, and i'm pretty sure they got more than a few complaints from this years releases...but i still think that they well come through once they get the knowledge of how to program for the 7th generation systems.)

well me personally is still sticking with KONAMI when it comes to baseball and soccer games for a simple reason....they still do provide THE BEST games in these two sports!!! how about the rest of you???

by the way ZAM what was your favourite baseball games in SNES/genesis days?? mine was "world series baseball"
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.