Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Explanation of Famitsu Scores

Discussion in the Video Games forum
Explanation of Famitsu Scores
Found this really interesting post after wondering about the Platinum score Winning Eleven 2008 got recently.

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=476

So basically the reason why Pawapuro and other yakyu games have been getting solid ratings lately is because they're courtesy scores. I've noticed that yakyu games rarely go below a score of 8, no matter how bad they are. When I was into Japanese wrestling, those games rarely scored below a single 7. This is to keep the established fanbases happy and ensure the publishers that the games will continue to sell a decent amount. This is why Pawapuro 13 scored well and WE2008 was scored so high.

Basically, to borrow a fight term, Famitsu(and probably all game mags in Japan) are works. "Work" is a term used to imply that the end result of a fight is already known by everyone involved. It's fake. A "shoot" is when two guys are fighting and have no idea who will win. Shoots are what happens here and on other boards.

Famitsu is Hulk Hogan, the game companies are Macho Man, and gamers are all the idiots in the stands who think wrestling is real. Hehe.
Comments
Re: Explanation of Famitsu Scores
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 29, 2007 3:23 AM ]

How confident are you about the second version of Pawapuro 14 ?
Re: Explanation of Famitsu Scores
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 29, 2007 2:50 PM | CLM Fan ]

Not very. I'd say there's about a 10 percent chance of Konami seeing the sales figures trends, going to the internet, finding out just exactly what the fans think of the current game, then working to fix it all. See, Konami doesn't care about what the fans think, but they do care about what the fans do with their money. Once those loyal fans are gone, their money is gone with them.

Konami is a big rich company, but they can't afford to lose a franchise as big as Pawapuro. A couple more years of broken Pawapuro games and I predict they'll see less sales than the Namco games. From a business standpoint, it would be very foolish of them to keep investing money in the series and not seeing why there's a downward trend in sales figures.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.