Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Sikorski Signs with Padres

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Sikorski Signs with Padres
Sikorsky signs with the San Diego Padres [Fox Sports]. Like the article says, he'll mostly likely fill the role of the recently-departed Ohtsuka.
Comments
Re: Sikorski Signs with Padres
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 26, 2005 1:35 AM ]

I guess Rakuten's not getting any compensation for releasing him in good faith.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 27, 2005 12:13 PM ]

They didn't release him in good faith.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 27, 2005 2:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

I understood that they released him so that he could pursue his choices in the Majors. And that's what he did. I don't see any wrong doing on either side.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Dec 27, 2005 3:09 PM | SL Fan ]

Can Rakuten get any compensation from the Padres? Seems strange that Rakuten claimed Sikorski off waivers and had no value in the end.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 27, 2005 3:23 PM ]

Usually, Japanese clubs cannot prevent a player from signing with a MLB organization, unless he is currently under contract. His rights to play in Japan may have been held, but players can almost always go back to the States if they want. SNL would have said, "The point is Null."
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 27, 2005 6:58 PM | HAN Fan ]

Whereas Sikorski had signed with Rakuten, my understanding is that he hadn't actually agreed and signed a contract. This is why it was so easy for him to leave.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 28, 2005 11:01 AM ]

As pointed out above, Sikorski was claimed on waivers by Rakuten after Yomiuri left Sikorski out of their 2006 season plans. Sikorski and Rakuten then failed to come to a deal. After that, Rakuten released Sikorski so he could pursue an opportunity in the major leagues.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 29, 2005 8:27 PM ]

My understanding is that Rakuten was compensated by the Padres and that was the only way they were going to release him. Rakuten in no way acted in good faith.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 29, 2005 8:40 PM ]

Rakuten, by claiming Sikorski off waivers, said his contract with Yomuiri was null and that the Japanese contract applied because he was claimed on waivers. Therefore they pretty much told him play for us or sit out next year and put him on the reserve list. Padres then came in and compensated Rakuten in order for him to be released. Foreign players are rarely claimed off waivers, it is like an unwritten rule in Japan. I think Rakuten thought this was a way to get a quality player and not have to pay market value.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 31, 2005 11:20 PM ]

Ah, very intersting. Whether unwritten rules should be observed, become written, or treated as non-existant probably depends on your values.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 2, 2006 12:48 AM ]

Japan, Korea, Taiwan, it's all about the same in the end with these leagues.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 5, 2006 10:37 AM | SL Fan ]

What do you mean by them being the "same"?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.