Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rakuten to Sell Baseball Shares to Fans

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rakuten to Sell Baseball Shares to Fans
Rakuten owner Hiroshi Mikitani has said that Rakuten Inc. plans to allow shares of its professional baseball club to be owned by fans. Mikitani says he wants to deepen the ties between the team and local community by having part of the club's shares purchased by fans and seeking contributions from local business circles. Mikitani added, "It's still from my personal perspective, but I'm also thinking of introducting special shares without shareholder voting rights, like the ones adopted by European soccer teams." [Full TMCnet Article (after ad page)]
Comments
Re: Rakuten to Sell Baseball Shares to Fans
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 5, 2006 10:36 AM | SL Fan ]

Hopefully Rakuten can get around Nabetsune's insistance that selling shares of NPB teams is against the NPB agreement.
Re: Rakuten to Sell Baseball Shares to Fans
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 1:01 PM | HAN Fan ]

That's not really going to be the problem. What Mikitani will need to overcome is the question of who would buy them.

To be honest, Rakuten don't need this kind of gimmick to create a link between them and supporters - they just need to direct their marketing to the local community. Availability of players at local events, schools, and on local television are more likely to deepen the links. A share issue is for raising funds not for improving relations.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.