Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Tigers Lineup

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Tigers Lineup
The potential Hanshin Tigers lineup for the open sen and for 2008 has been released.
  1. Akahoshi (Center field)
  2. Sekimoto (Second base)
  3. Arai (First base)
  4. Kanemoto (Left field)
  5. Imaoka (Third base)
  6. Ford (Right field)
  7. Toritani (Shortstop)
  8. Yano (Catcher)
This does not strike me as a championship winning side.
Comments
Re: Hanshin Tigers Lineup
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jan 25, 2008 5:48 PM | CLM Fan ]

Barring some catastrophe with their outfield defense, I see the Giants repeating. I don't see the Dragons challenging as much as they did in 2007 due to the losses of Okamoto and Fukudome.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 26, 2008 12:02 AM | NIP Fan ]

Fukudome's not a big deal, they lost him halfway through last year and went on to win the Japan Series anyway. I wouldn't be worried about Chunichi's position players and bats -- they still have the best middle infield in baseball with the Arakibata double-headed DP monster, and the bats of Tyrone, Nori, Morino!, Wada, etc., and some young guys like Hirata, Little Brother Arai, and Older Brother Donoue - and then Tatsunami and Ochiai teaching all of those young guys how to hit. I'm more worried about the pitching. And whether anyone can take over behind the plate if Tanishige suddenly realizes he's mortal.

I do have to say, the Tigers' lineup isn't particularly inspiring, but it's not bad either. If Lin joins in mid-season, that could be pretty big, too.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jan 26, 2008 6:27 AM | SFT Fan ]

Yeah, I have to agree, too. The Dragons lost Fukudome half way through last season and were fine. If I were a Dragons fan, I'd be more worried about 2009 and beyond.

If the Dragons lose Kawakami, Iwase, Ibata, and Woods I would be more worried than what I am this year.

As for Hanshin, they don't impress me either. It's basically still the same team as last year which was a big disappointment. Barring the Giants' outfield defense collapsing in on itself, they're likely to win the Central League in 2008.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 26, 2008 11:03 AM | HAN Fan ]

I would have been happier to see Sakurai and Kanoh in the starting lineup. Certainly in the absence of Lin, Sakurai should be starting in right field.

Given their signings I think Giants fans have the most to look forward to.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Jan 26, 2008 2:35 PM | HT Fan ]

Well, they only have to be good enough to finish 3rd or better -- anything can happen in a short series. The Giants sure seem poised to run away with their division, though.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jan 27, 2008 2:46 AM | HT Fan ]

- Well, they only have to be good enough to finish 3rd or better -- anything can happen in a short series.

Exactly. That's all they need to do - stay competitive and work out how to win games in the post season. That lineup will surely change with injuries and the general ups and down of a typical season. We haven't even started spring training anyway. I hope nobody's predicting the demise of the Tigers just yet.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Jan 28, 2008 4:05 PM ]

holygoat,

You are right, the midgets' team salary is nearly 2 to over 4 times higher than the rest of the teams in the Central League. After five years of futility they are going full out to buy the championship.

And if all this fails, in '09 they will bring back Godzilla.
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Feb 21, 2008 4:59 AM ]

Here is mine. Homhum.
    Toritani
    Akahoshi
    Arai
    Kanemoto
    Imaoka
    Ford/Yano
    Sekimoto
    Yano/Sekimoto
    Pitcher
Who are the pitchers? I too think it is doubtful Hanshin will be a contender. Hanshin has excellent relief but the starters; Shimoyanagi, Kanemura, ... The JFK is solid.
[ Author: Guest: Fishiguchi | Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:35 PM ]

My own line-up should be:
    Akahoshi (CF)
    Sekimoto (2B)
    Arai (3B)
    Kanemoto (LF)
    Ford (RF)
    Toritani (SS)
    Sakurai (1B)
    Yano (C)
    Pitcher
Like "Lotte Fan," I worry about the Tigers' bullpen! Fukuhara was a big deception in 2007. I hope Uezono will shine like last season and that Kojima'll be a new Kei Igawa.

Why not bring back Kei to Japan? Huh?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.