Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Former Nippon Ham right-hander Glynn joins BayStars

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Former Nippon Ham right-hander Glynn joins BayStars
Former Nippon Ham Fighters right-hander Ryan Glynn has been acquired by the Yokohama BayStars, the Central League club said Tuesday.

[Full Article: http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=13649]
Comments
Re: Former Nippon Ham right-hander Glynn joins BayStars
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 6, 2009 11:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, yes, yes. The BayStars have finally made a move on the mound.

OK, so he got a little beat up in the playoffs last season. But during the season:
Right/Left Splits
BF AB H 2B 3B HR K BB (IBB) OBA
vs Right 388 344 90 15 0 7 76 30 0 .262
vs Left 311 268 70 13 1 11 23 31 1 .261
Season 699 612 160 28 1 18 99 61 1 .261

Career Statistics
Year Team G GS CG SHO W L SV BS IP H BB ER HR K ERA WHIP
2006 RAK 21 19 1 0 7 7 0 0 127.1 143 36 56 15 121 3.96 1.41
2007 NIP 24 24 0 0 9 8 0 0 155.0 129 33 38 16 111 2.21 1.05
2008 NIP 26 25 2 0 7 14 0 0 163.1 160 61 66 18 99 3.64 1.35
Career 71 68 3 0 23 29 0 0 445.2 432 130 160 49 331 3.23 1.26
I know his win/loss record doesn't looks that good. But the BayStars have much more offensive power than the Fighters. Glynn threw 17 Quality Starts in 2008, but only won 7 games. How many BayStars not named Miura even threw a Quality Start last season?

I couldn't believe it when I read that Nippon Ham was giving him up. But the BayStars picking him up? Wow! I'm starting to feel hope for the coming season.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 7, 2009 3:00 AM ]

Oh, yeah! The BayStars are looking like they are making all the right moves. Specially with the acquisitions of Ryan Glynn and Dan Johnson. I see them improving significantly in all aspects of the game.

I think moving Uchikawa to left field and placing Johnson at first base not only improves their line-up offensively, but also defensively; they will also have a "deeper" bench.

At the same time they are making huge strides to solidify the starting rotation; acquiring Glynn, Mastny and Walrond helps with the starting pitching as well as the bullpen.

I am so excited about this upcoming season already, and I don't think Yokohama is completely done with improvements. Now, if only somehow Yomiuri would release Marc Kroon so he can return home (Yokohama); it would be a perfect world, but it's not (wishful thinking).
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jan 7, 2009 10:14 AM ]

Good move by the BayStars. But don't forget that Glynn will be transitioning from an extreme pitchers park (Sapporo Dome) to an extreme hitters park (Yokohama Stadium).
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 8, 2009 4:20 AM | NIP Fan ]

I think it's a great move for the BayStars. To some extent Glynn had some bad luck last year, and a few bad games, but to some extent the high count in the loss column was due to run support issues.

He did okay with Rakuten in 2005 and they were a weak team in a hitter-friendly park (well... for the PL at least...) but going over to the CL might be a whole new ballgame. Either way, Ryan knows how to work in Japan, and he was the best pitcher in the CL in 2006 - during inter-league, anyway.

If he can manage to not suffer from ippatsu-byou as Westbay calls it, he'll do just fine!
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Jan 7, 2009 1:05 PM ]

Hope springs eternal . . . must be getting closer now to reporting dates.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Jan 8, 2009 9:05 AM | SFT Fan ]

You have to love this move by Yokohama. Now it's not Miura then pray for rain. The offense is in good shape between Uchikawa and Murata, and also the other bats.

I was starting to wonder where Glynn would end up, and boy was this a surprise, and a pleasant one at that!
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jan 8, 2009 9:24 AM | YOK Fan ]

Good point Simon in noting that Glynn will be moving to a hitter's park in Yokohama. But, I think the point that Westbay made being that he'll have more offensive protection from Yokohama's line-up will balance that out.

I was totally surprised and caught off-guard when I logged on this morning and I read this (and partially, too, because I was abroad for 2 and a half weeks and didn't really pay attention to anything Japanese Baseball related).

This is a great move for Yokohama and gives them much needed pitching to go along with their offense. I'm happy so far with Yokohama's off-season as I feel they've made strides to improve the ball club.

And one more thing, where does it say that the BayStars accquired Dan Johnson? There is nothing mentioning him on the official site. Wait, nevermind, I saw Westbay's post linking NPBTracker's article on Johnson just now. That just makes it even better then. I don't really know much about Johnson, but from what I've heard, he's got good plate discipline and is a great player who just never got his shot at playing full time.

Hopefully, I can get out to more BayStars games than I'm planning on next year, but I don't think I'll be able to. But whatever the case may be, I'll still have my eye on them throughout the year.
[ Author: Guest: Scoutman | Posted: Jan 11, 2009 1:45 AM ]

The Fighters never gave him any run support in the 2 seasons he has been there, and the manager had the nerve to bad mouth Ryan Glynn in the press, saying they lost because of him. You can't pitch every game knowing if you only give up one run you will loose the game because no one scores runs. You have 17 quality starts and they don't sign him back because he didn't have complete shutouts to get a win every time? He should have 17 wins.

I am glad he isn't playing for that team anymore. They are going downhill with the moves they made this off season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.