Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Taking flight …

Discussion in the Japanese Baseball Daily forum
Taking flight …
Masubuchi hurls Swallows past Tigers

Tsuyoshi Masubuchi was a highly hyped rookie in 2007. He hasn’t been talked about much since.

But the righty is starting to take flight -- at least he’s getting some air -- this season, and he proved it to the visiting Hanshin Tigers, firing 6.2 scoreless innings to help the Yakult Swallows to a 3-0 win in Akita.

Masubuchi (5-4) fanned a career-high nine -- allowing five hits with four walks -- to collect his fifth win, his highest total in any of his four-plus seasons.

“I was finally able to throw like I wanted to today,” said Masubuchi, the Swallows’ first-round pick in 2006 who was going against Hanshin ace Atsushi Nomi (4-7).

“I didn't worry about that, I just focused on doing on the mound what I had to do and I went all out. I was determined not to give up any runs and went hard from the start.”

Norichika Aoki, who went 2-for-4, broke a scoreless tie with an RBI single in the sixth. Hiroyasu Tanaka added a two-run single in the seventh and the front-running Swallows moved to four games over the Chunichi Dragons in the Central League.

GIANTS 3, CARP 0

Kentaro Nishimura (1-0) tossed seven shutout innings and Alex Ramirez and two others drove in runs as Yomiuri cruised past Hiroshima at Tokyo Dome.

Yoshinobu Takahashi went 3-for-3, the final hit a single that gave him 1,500 career hits.

BAYSTARS 3, DRAGONS 1

Naoto Inada’s two-run bases-loaded single in the seventh gave the Yokohama a win over Chunichi at Nagoya Dome.

The BayStars avoided a sweep as Daisuke Miura (1-1) tossed six innings of one-run ball for his first win this season (first since last May 21), setting a franchise record with at least one win over 19 consecutive years (since 1993).

PACIFIC LEAGUE

LIONS 9, BUFFALOES 3

Hiroyuki Nakamura had four hits and three RBIs, and Takeya “Okawari-kun” Nakamura homered again -- his Japan-best 24th -- as Seibu dumped visiting Orix.

Jose Fernandez was 2-for-4 with a double and two RBIs.

FIGHTERS 3, EAGLES 2

Eiichi Koyano smacked a bases-loaded walk-off single in the ninth inning as Nippon Ham edged Rakuten at Asahikawa in Hokkaido.

HAWKS 4, MARINES 0

Tadashi Settsu (8-4) blanked Lotte on two hits and one walk over eight innings as front-running SoftBank shut out Lotte at FYJ Dome.

[Edited by: jgibson on Jul 11, 2011 2:53 PM]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.