Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shinjo Wearing Hawks Uniform

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Shinjo Wearing Hawks Uniform
I don't know if I'm just over reacting about this, but I am offended about Shinjo wearing a Hawks uniform at Yahoo! Dome for the ceremonial pitch. I don't even think he deserves to wear that uniform anywhere else. I think it's a complete mockery to SoftBank Hawks. I know he's just being Shinjo and all, but he should have considered the feelings of the fans (like me) and possibly the players' as well.

I think he has overdone it.
Comments
Re: Shinjo Wearing Hawks Uniform
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 20, 2008 7:35 PM ]

He was born in Nagasaki and raised in Fukuoka.

Or are you talking about his big mug on the back of the uniform, that was a typical Shinjo over the top performance? I thought throwing a "gachinko" ceremonial at bat against his former understudy and good friend Hichori Morimoto was a good, entertaining stunt (though he did make sure not to go inside).

Besides, I'm sorry but the SoftBank Hawks have one of the ugliest uniforms in NPB, and no sacred history or anything there either.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 21, 2008 7:44 PM ]

Yeah, and him wearing it made it even more ugly.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 20, 2008 9:26 PM ]

He caused a stir in his final year as well by wearing a Tigers uniform during his last games at Koshien. He's just a harmless showboat who will do what it takes to shine more attention on himself.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 20, 2008 11:54 PM ]

Oh yeah, during warmups, with the number he used to wear when he first came up to the Tigers 1-gun. It was kind of a touching tribute to the organization that drafted, trained, and made him into the star he is. If I remember correctly, he got approval of the Hanshin brass to wear the uniform, and wore it, then the nearly dead men that run NPB scoffed at it.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 21, 2008 5:42 AM | SFT Fan ]

This is another "cry me a river" moment. Shinjo isn't hurting the game or anything by wearing a Hawks uniform.

Actually I find it relieving and exciting amid the serious boring types in the NPB brass.

- I know he's just being Shinjo and all, but he should have considered the feelings of the fans (like me) and possibly the players' as well.

How are you so sure that the fans took it badly? From the clip [Youtube] I watched of the event, it looked like the fans at the stadium took it in stride as harmless, entertaining fun and a change from the seriousness of the head brass boring types who runs NPB. Also, Morimoto was one of his good friends, and from watching the clip the players seemed to also take it in stride as harmless, entertaining fun.

Some need to lighten up some and stop looking for something to always complain or whine over.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 21, 2008 11:39 AM | NIP Fan ]

Agreed. It seemed to me that a lot of people enjoyed it (heck, I was kicking myself for not going down to Kyushu this weekend -- the Hawks are the only team in Japan I haven't seen a home game for, and I thought the Fighters would be a good excuse to go down there, and then I saw the videos from Shinjo's performance and wished I was there!) and if the players didn't like it, why would they do things like hug him on his way around the field? They could have just bowed or something, but a lot of the guys seemed honestly happy to see him.

I suppose it takes a while to sort of understand the zen of Shinjo, as it were, but I honestly believe that all he ever wanted to do was entertain fans and make them laugh, and make baseball a more interesting sport for people. I've said it here before a few times, but I think it actually takes a lot of courage to be someone like Shinjo here, and the fact that he's managed to pull off so many stunts and still remain popular in the fans' eyes is really a tribute to how well he connected with them. (I still see plenty of Fighters fans wearing Shinjo stuff.)

And to me, the fact that it was Shinjo pitching to Hichori was even all the more symbolic, because Hichori was kind of Shinjo's successor as the Crazy Guy Wearing #1 And Doing Funny Things And Playing Center Field.

I think it all depends on whether or not you believe Shinjo's statement that "Fan is my treasure!!" from the 2006 All Star game. If you see him as a self-centered attention-seeking jerk, then you won't enjoy his stunts. If you see him as basically being the class clown pulling random harmless funny pranks who is well-liked by people for making things livelier and more enjoyable, then it takes on a totally different meaning.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 21, 2008 7:39 PM ]

I guess you're right Deanna. I should just enjoy his stunts as long as it's not below the belt or something. And yes, he reminded me of Kazumi Saitoh, except that Saitoh-san has wider hips and sexier behind.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.