Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yahoo! Live Streaming

Discussion in the Media Guide forum
Yahoo! Live Streaming
I've found a way to break through the Japanese IP problem for Yahoo's live streaming.

Right now I am watching the Hawks' game without any problem at all.

Not quite sure if I am allowed to tell everyone how to do it here. Michael, please give me the green lights if it's okay. Otherwise for those who need it can e-mail me the method.
Comments
Re: Yahoo! Live Streaming
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 22, 2008 6:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

I'm feeling rebellious. Please, go ahead. Down with DRM!
[ Author: PLUS73 | Posted: Mar 22, 2008 9:33 PM | SL Fan ]

I hope that there will be a way to watch more games live this year.

Just watching the A's/Giants game on MLB.tv at the moment.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Mar 23, 2008 1:56 AM | FSH Fan ]

Ok, there's actually 2 different methods to do it.

The easier one:

I've found this site, iJapan, Where you connect to sites through their proxy server, which is from Japan. From there, just enter the url:
    http://streaming.yahoo.co.jp/special/sports/pacific_league2008/
and it will get you to the Pacific League page, and you should be able to watch them.

The higher quality version that requires BBbroadcast does not work with this method, because it will open up a new window that's not routed through the Japan proxy server. So with this method you can only see the WMP version, which is the quality we've been watching in past years.

However, there's also another method to watch the higher quality live feed from BBbroadcast.

You can change the proxy server on your internet browser to a Japanese proxy server, therefore when you got to Yahoo! it will recognize you as being in Japan. This way you can watch anything on Yahoo! Video.

The Japanese proxy server can be easily found by Google'ing "japanese proxy server list". However, I've yet to find one that is stable and fast. Most of them that I've tried are slow as snail, it takes forever to even load the Yahoo page.

But I've tested and gotten it to work (had BBbroadcast started, but buffering took forever), so this method will work the best if somehow we can find a good fast stable proxy server.

I'm totally not a computer guy, so maybe what I explained up there is not what it is, but the thing that's important here is
    it actually works!
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 23, 2008 9:02 AM | CLM Fan ]

We knew about proxy servers a long time ago. It's impossible to get anything fast enough to play the high quality streams. I've used Japanese proxy servers and I get the Yahoo media player to come up, but it locks up right after.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Mar 23, 2008 5:01 PM | FSH Fan ]

Just came back and saw the 9th inning of the Hawks' match, with Ohba pitching a complete game shutdown.

So I suppose this one will work as of now, without any problems.

Hope it will last until at least the end of the season.
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Mar 23, 2008 7:51 PM ]

I am not a computer guy and I am dying to watch Japanese baseball and was really happy to read this thread that I could watch the live streaming games. I tried but...

I pasted the URL on the ijapan page, but unfortunately I got the same message: Your IP is not in Japan etc.

Help. Any help is greatly appreciated.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Mar 23, 2008 10:41 PM | FSH Fan ]

You must have clicked the "live" button where it uses the BBbroadcast.

Right under it there should be a link for WMP version. (Only available when you're watching live.) That's the one you want.

The only way to watch it with BBbroadcast is to use the second method I talked about. But actually, I might be able to find another method to bypass that. I got a little hint earlier, but haven't had the time to try it.

Will report back possibly on tonight's Hawks' match.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Mar 24, 2008 6:13 PM | FSH Fan ]

Alright, more good news. I found a way to use the BBbroadcast for the high quality streaming.

First I found a link from page source on the Yahoo page:
    http://player.streaming.yahoo.co.jp/player/player.html?s_id=t&cp_id=05015&pg_id=c01022&co_id=c0102200000000000001&spid=2079206234&hash=a5cbc62b5344f33567b616270240ff35&ev=1
By using this link on ijapan, you can load up BBbroadcast to watch the clean version of the broadcast. Of course you will need to first install BBbroadcast to be able to use it. And only IE works with BBbroadcast, so using Firefox or others will not work.
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:04 PM ]

I think I got the hang of it. Have been watching the Lotte games using BBroadcast and interviews. Works like a charm. I hope they will send the inter-league games, too.

SoftBank and Lotte look good so far. Orix has a good line up with players like Hamanaka, Muramatsu, Rodes, Cabrerra, and LaRocca, but they don't have much pitching. The BBroadcast is quality.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 23, 2008 6:11 AM | CLM Fan ]

God, Shini, you could've just posted it in your original post and let Michael decide whether or not to publish it. I missed a really good Lotte game last night.
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Mar 24, 2008 9:03 PM ]

It is working Shinigami! Thank you very much for you excellent information. I am watching the Hawks Marines game right now. Lotte just blew a big chance in the 8th. Aarrgh. But I'm still very happy.

I am watching using the WMP version so the quality isn't all that great. Would love to get a slightly better version so will try to use BB broadcast later.

Again. Thank you very much!
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Mar 25, 2008 12:50 AM ]

I was able to watch the extra innings in BBbroadcast high quality. It was like watching the games on TV more or less. I pasted the link which Shiragami put on his post onto the iJapan page and it worked. Again. Thank you very much Shiragami.

Then after the game was over I wanted to see the hero interviews and the game highlights. I pasted the url from the Yahoo! page onto the iJapan page. I was able to go to the BBbroacast page with the TV screen, but nothing happened. At the bottom of my TV screen it said in Japanese "saisei shyuryou" (end of playback). I was able to go to the page and on my right hand side was the menu with the various clips on my right hand side of the game highlights. Despite clicking on them I was not able to see the game highlights.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Mar 25, 2008 10:44 AM | FSH Fan ]

Ya. Actually that link I posted just works for that one match. If you're to watch the other games in high quality, you will need to find the hidden URL that would've corresponded with the "live" button when you're on the Yahoo! page.

I forgot to mention back in the last post that you will need to go into the page source to find a link similar to the one I posted, and use that to watch the games, as every match has a different one, and only that would work.

That's the only way I can get it to work effectively, as the second method I mentioned is too unstable with those public proxy servers.

If you want to watch the hero interviews and game highlights, you will need to go into Lotte's team streaming page (which in this case is http://streaming.yahoo.co.jp/special/sports/pacific_league2008/team/top.html?t=m) and go under page source to find it.

But since there are many videos you can view from that page, you might get a wrong one which corresponds to another video. This you will need to go in and play around with it until you find it.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 30, 2008 11:07 AM | CLM Fan ]

Great work, Shini. You helped a ton of us out. Add me on AIM sometime. My new name is JippasBack.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 30, 2008 1:07 PM | CLM Fan ]

Watching in high quality now thanks to your posts, Shini. Awesome!
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Mar 30, 2008 1:33 PM | SFT Fan ]

When I try to use the WMP broadcast for Hawks away games, I get some stupid error that says "Windows does not recognize this MIME type," which means I can't watch games on WMP. I'm reduced to hiccupy BB Broadcast for home games. Is there any way to fix this?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 31, 2008 5:45 AM ]

I am only able to watch WMPs. I have tried to delete cookies and numerous tweaks to watch the high resolution games but have been unsuccessful. Can anyone tell were to find the hidden game URLs so I can watch some live baseball?

Also, are there any live streams for CL games? I know where to find the BayStars games, wouldn't mind to watch some of our rivals, thanks.

And if the games are not live that's okay, I just love to watch some baseball and follow leagues all year round from all around; Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Cuba leagues keep me going in the winter. I think NPB is up there with MLB in quality and USA would be naive to think otherwise. And the other leagues I mentioned are of high quality, also. What can I say, I am obsessed with baseball.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Apr 1, 2008 6:37 AM | FSH Fan ]

Did you download the BBbroadcast and install it into your computer? If you don't have that, you wont be able to watch the high quality streaming.

And you've got to meet the spec requirements (one of which is to use IE).

The hidden url in page source should start with "http://player.streaming.yahoo.co.jp/player/player.html" and then followed by a bunch of codes. To make it easier to find, you can click on the box score of the specific match on Yahoo and view the page source from there. That way you should only see one such link to the high quality stream.

As for the Central League games, I am not sure. Only thing I know for sure is the BayStars show their matches. I'd heard the Giants do too for some of them. Hanshin's MBS stream from before seems to be gone for good. No idea for the rest.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 1, 2008 12:39 PM ]

I did download the BBbroadcast, and installed it. I can actually get to the games page, but for some reason it doesn't show the picture to the streaming button. Only the button below it that's for the WMP; for the BBbroadcast it shows a blank square with an "x" as if it were blocked. And when I click on it I go to the "Yahoo doesn't recognize the IP" pop-up. I know if I can get to the URL I'll be able to watch as I did with the Hawks' URL you first posted.

You have made a great discovery for us outside of Japan and I just want to take full advantage of it. Anyhow, thank you for all your help in the past, present and future. OUTSTANDING!
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Apr 6, 2008 2:26 PM | FSH Fan ]

I'm not sure what your problem is.

I've been watching with the WMP version the past 2 days due to choppy streaming with the BBbroadcast, and I've not seen any problems with it.

Maybe you should check if your WMP is up to date and meets all the requirement to watch it?
[ Author: Guest: Yitzy | Posted: Apr 1, 2008 1:54 PM ]

Thank you so much. I've been trying to find a way for a while to watch games on Yahoo. Last year, the Eagles had a third party non-Yahoo source that didn't block non-Japanese IP addresses. But they got rid of that this year.

I'm watching the Eagles/Marines game on BBbroadcast right now.

Plus, now I'll get to see my Fighters!

Thanks again!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 3, 2008 10:48 PM ]

I can't believe it. It's now impossible to watch the BayStars on the Internet if you are outside of Japan.

I was able to watch the first game, but I got the message last night.

This league is going the wrong way big time.
[ Author: patrick80639 | Posted: Apr 5, 2008 11:05 PM ]

I know, this is getting absurd! Worse yet, the iJapan proxy is not working for the TBS site, well at least for me.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2008 12:30 AM | YBS Fan ]

Hold on. The BayStars are on the road right now. Wait until they return home on Tuesday (JST) before writing it off.
OT: HamastaWAVE
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Apr 19, 2008 2:39 PM | FSH Fan ]

Anyone in Japan want to try if HamastaWAVE is working or not? Because I just had my friend who's living in Japan try it, and even she couldn't get it to work. Just wondering if it's her computer's specs not up to the requirement, or if there really is something wrong with the site.

So if someone living in Japan has some time, can you please go and take a look to see if it works or not? I too would like to watch some Central League games if possible, as there's not many other sources out there to see them other than the inter-league play later on in the season.
[ Author: Guest: Loot Fan | Posted: Apr 8, 2008 7:16 PM ]

Sometimes the BBroadcast is a little choppy. But it usually is only in the beginning. Refreshing the page at times tends to help.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 6, 2008 12:46 AM ]

Alright,

Here are some alternatives:Hope this helps.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 15, 2008 6:53 AM | SFT Fan ]

Are those live?

Also, since I already have a P2P client, could I use that, or do I need something else?

One more thing, will this work on a Mac?
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: May 19, 2008 8:47 PM ]

Does anyone know where you can watch the inter-league games? Yahoo! Does not stream the games on the Internet (sniff).

Thank you for linking to the P2P link, bullpen45. I see they are going to broadcast inter-league games on Saturdays. I have never used that site and I am not a computer guy, so I was wondering how you watch Japanese baseball there? Is it with normal Windows Media Player or Quick Time? It looks as if this P2P application does not support Mac.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: May 20, 2008 6:27 AM | FSH Fan ]

Yahoo! is showing all the matches on the schedule.
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: May 22, 2008 8:27 PM ]

Yes, Shinigami, you are correct, thank god. My mistake.
OT: Hanshin on YouTube?
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Jun 5, 2008 3:57 AM ]

This person uploads Hanshin games. I have been watching Hanshin recently on YouTube as Hanshin is the only CL team I am able to watch on the Internet.

However I have not been able to watch Hanshin after May 21st. Does anyone know where I can continue following Hanshin?

Thanks in advance.
Re: OT: Hanshin on YouTube?
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Jun 5, 2008 10:37 PM ]

whops forgot to paste the link.

I just found out that he has uploaded new games since my last visit.
OT: Hanshin Streams?
[ Author: Guest: Jan Blurr | Posted: Aug 29, 2008 6:59 PM ]

I post this here as this seems to be the most appropriate place for my question.

Does anyone know the web page from where you can access Hanshin games? I only know of one site (yahoo.jp) for the Pacific League games, but I somehow can't find one for the Central League. If they don't stream games for the Central League over the Internet, I'd be glad if someone can tell me about it.

I know they block non-Japan IP addresses, but still, I know where to get proxies and how to deal with them.
Re: OT: Hanshin Streams?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 29, 2008 8:13 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Pacific League teams have banded together out of necessity. They've got new blood and realize that they have to move forward to gain mind and market share. That's why they have streaming video all located in one place. (Now if they would just drop the DRM (Data Rights Management - not a requirement according to those in the Pacific League I've talked to, but rather a "feature" that can't be removed of the system Yahoo! Japan cobbled together for Japan's music industry) and broadcast in an Open format like OGG, we'd be all set.)

The Central League, in contrast, is run by a bunch of aging lords, each trying to protect his kingdom. "Openness" and "cooperation" are not words in their vocabulary. They're probably as clueless about the "internets" to think "they" are just a bunch of "tubes."

Hanshin once had video feeds, but they stopped a few years ago when someone got too greedy.

Yokohama, owned by Tokyo Broadcasting System, has their home games on Hamasuta Wave. But a Microsoft plug-in is required, so I can't say anything of the quality. (You couldn't pay me to use anything written by Microsoft, and I'd rather do without than compromise my principals.)

Hiroshima also has a video service by RCC, a local broadcaster in the region. This was built by some group in Texas, I'd read, using Microsoft's "defective by design" DRM, so I again cannot comment on it.

One day in the future things will change. But the current state of Internet broadcasts of Japanese baseball still has a ways to go.

(By the way, this should really be a new thread here in Media Guide. I disabled creation of new threads by anonymous users after a bot hit the system hard about a year ago. Set your preferences to not show your e-mail address, and I promise not to sell your e-mail address to spammers.)
Re: OT: Hanshin Streams?
[ Author: Guest: Jan | Posted: Aug 30, 2008 1:20 AM ]

Thanks a lot, westbay-san! (^_^)
[ Author: Guest: Xanxee | Posted: Sep 7, 2009 5:11 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

Best place to watch Japanese baseball, and of course the US MLB Baseball, is http://www.stream2watch.com
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.