Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Vintage Jersey Appraisal

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
Vintage Jersey Appraisal
I have a 35 or so year old Japanese baseball jersey, #13, made by, I believe, RK Mizuno with Siizuoka on it. Can any one help me with this? Value, where from, etc.?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Vintage Jersey Appraisal
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: May 4, 2003 10:44 PM | HAN Fan ]

Is Siizuoka the name of the team on the front? If so, probably between $5 and $25, unless you fool unsuspecting people into believing that this is a pro jersey. I've chastised many a dealer for labeling "little league" jerseys incorrectly.

Can you provide the team name, player name, color, size, etc.?
Re: Vintage Jersey Appraisal
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 4, 2003 11:47 PM | YBS Fan ]

"Siizuoka" looks like a form of "Shizuoka" which is the name of a prefecture (like a state). Names of prefectures are often on the uniforms of high schools for the bi-annual Koshien tournaments, usually on the sleave if not in the name of the team.

I think that only 14 players are allowed on the team at Koshien, with the best starting lineup numberd 1 through 9. Since a given pitcher can't pitch every game, I often have seen up to #12 in games. But I can't remember ever seeing any higher number than 12 at Koshien. (Admittingly, I don't watch that many high school games, but I do catch a few every spring and summer.) So even if it was the uniform to a winning team, it's highly unlikely that #13 played a major part. (There are exceptions, though.)

Kusumoto-san has done a great deal of historical research into not only Pro Yakyu, but college and high school ball as well. (He's got a great deal of diverse information many of you might be interested in.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.