Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Marines Re-Sign Agbayani

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Marines Re-Sign Agbayani
The Chiba Lotte Marines re-signed outfielder Benny Agbayani [Japan Ball] to a 1 year contract, worth 130 million (1.3-oku) yen.

Agbayani batted .281 with 17 HRs and 65 RBI this year.
Comments
Re: Marines Re-Sign Agbayani
[ Author: Guest: bmab | Posted: Oct 2, 2006 9:27 AM ]

Uuuhhh. Is it just me or does that seem like too much?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:12 PM | CLM Fan ]

Just you. Benny's become one of the few marketable stars of the team. The others being Nishioka, Imae, Fukuura, Satozaki, Shunsuke Watanabe, Shimizu, and both Kobayashis. I want to put Yabuta and Fujita there, but they aren't exactly stars, though they've had solid stats.

I'd say that Benny deserves 1.3-oku, considering Kevin Beirne was paid a little less after his mediocre seasons with the Buffaloes. Very few foreign players have the marketability of a Benny Agbayani or Alex Ramirez.

He needed to be re-signed, anyway. There's no telling what could happen if we take a chance with Takehara and/or Ohmatsu out there for an entire year. Benny is proven.
[ Author: Marines For Life | Posted: Oct 6, 2006 12:55 PM ]

This is great news.

Just out of curiosity, how much longer is Tsuyoshi Nishioka signed for? Wouldn't want to loose a player like him.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 7, 2006 6:10 AM | NIP Fan ]

Nishioka didn't actually play a full season with the top-level team until 2005, so he'll be around for a looooong time.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.