Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

PLPO S2G2: Sayonara!

Discussion in the NPB News forum
PLPO S2G2: Sayonara!
This was one heck of a pitchers' duel between the Hawks' ace Saitoh the Fighters' super-rookie Yagi. To make a long story short, Saitoh lost his second complete game playoff game in row by the same score of 1-0.

Top of First - Kawasaki leads off grounding out to second. Ohmura flies out to left-center for out number two. Tanoue follows with a ground out to second. Yagi retires the side on 7 pitches.

Bottom of First - Morimoto strikes out swinging on four pitches to lead off. Tanaka Kensuke singles through the left side for the first hit of the game. Ogasawara then grounds the ball to Zuleta at first. Zuleta takes the ball to first himself and throws to second. The tag is made on Tanaka, and it's 3 up 3 down for the Fighters in the first.

Top of Second - Matsunaka singles 2/3rd of the way up the right field wall, being held to a single. He did foul off a number of pitching, more than doubling Yagi's pitch count for the first inning on this one at bat. Zuleta then grounds into a 5-4-3 double play to erase the base runner. And Jolbert Cabrera grounds out to short to retire the side in order.

Bottom of Second - Seguignol leads off grounding out to second. Inaba grounds out to short. and Shinjo strikes out swinging after working the count full. Shinjo did not look like he knew what to do with a bat this at bat. Nonetheless, the side is retired in order.

Top of Third - Nakazawa leads off with a base hit up the middle. He's then sacrificed to second by Ide. Then, while Matoba is at the plate, Yagi turns and fires to second where Tanaka comes sliding in feet first. Tanaka catches the ball at Nakazawa's feet - out! Picked off of second base for out number two. Matoba then flies out to left to end the inning.

Bottom of Third - Inada grounds out to short to lead off the bottom of the third. Tsuruoka pops out to short. Then Kaneko hits a two-out base hit through the left side. But Morimoto puts on the breaks with a pop out to Nakazawa in shallow right field. First stranded base runner of the game.

Top of Fourth - Kawasaki strikes out looking on three pitches to lead off the fourth. Ohmura then lays down a safety bunt in front of home plate. Tsuruoka gets out quickly, grabs the ball, and fires to first. The umpire calls Ohmura out, and Moriwaki-acting kantoku heads over to first to argue the call from his third base coach's box position. Of course Ohmura and the first base coach are also arguing. Replays show that it was a very close play, and there's a better chance than not that the umpire got the call right. It was a a very close play. Once the delay for the argument ended, Tanoue grounded out to third to retire the side in order.

Bottom of Fourth - Tanaka leads off grounding out to second. Ogasawara then flies out to deep center for out number two. And Seguignol striks out swinging to complete an easy fourth for Saitoh.

Top of Fifth - Matsunaka fouls out to the catcher for out number one. Zuleta then reaches first on a throwing error by third baseman Inada. As Cabrera strikes out swinging on a third full count pitch, Zuleta breaks for second. The ball is at second well ahead of Zuleta who makes a late slide and kicks the ball out of Tanaka's glove. This time Hillman-kantoku heads out of the dugout to have a word with the umpires. The home plate umpire then overrules the call, calling Zuleta out. I'm not exactly sure what the official ruling on that one was, but it didn't look like Zuleta was intentionally endangering Tanaka. He simply slid into the glove, knocking the ball out. In the end, though, it goes down as a strike out get two, Zuleta caught stealing. Yagi still pitching to the minimum number of Hawks.

Bottom of Fifth - Inaba grounds out to the right side for out number one. Shinjo follows with his second strike out in a row. He looked a little better this at bat, fouling off a couple. Inada follows with a two out base hit to left, but is stranded at first when Tsuruoka goes down swinging. That's Saitoh's fifth strike out victim of the game. We remain scoreless after five complete.

Top of Sixth - Nakazawa singles to lead off the sixth inning, both his and the Hawks' second hit of the night (third base runner for the Hawks). He's then sacrificed to second by Ide for the second time. But Yagi strikes out Matoba and Kawasaki to retire the side. But, the Hawks finally manage to strand a base runner.

Bottom of Sixth - Kaneko flies out to right for the first out. Morimoto then strikes out for the second time this evening, strike out victim number six. Tanaka follows with a two-out single to right. But he's stranded on first when Ogasawara goes down swinging. That's seven strike outs for Saitoh so far tonight.

Top of Seventh - Ohmura leads off popping out to Kaneko in shallow left field. Inoue flies out to center. Then Matsunaka grounds out to short to end the inning 1-2-3.

Bottom of Seventh - Seguignol fouls out to Cabrera in the huge foul territory on the third base side. Inaba follows flying out to left field. Then Shinjo finally hits the ball hard, but right at Cabrera at third. Fighting Ham goes down in order yet again in the seventh.

Top of Eighth - After Zuleta grounds out to third, Cabrera draws the first walk of the game, it being on four pitches. Nakazawa then flies out to right for out number two. And Ide grounds into a 6-4 fource to Kaneko at short to end the inning.

Bottom of Eighth - A fly ball to center by Inada is followed by Tsuruda's ground out to third and Kaneko's fly out to left-center to retire the side in order yet again. After eight complete, we still have no score.

Top of Ninth - The Hawks send up Matoba, Kawasaki, and Ohmura. All three of them fly out to Morimoto in left. Three up, three down.

Bottom of Ninth - Morimoto leads off the bottom of the ninth drawing a base on balls on four pitches. Morimoto is sacrificed to second by Tanaka. The Hawks elect to walk Ogasawara intentionally in the hopes of turning a double play, or get a force out on the lead runner. Saitoh gets Seguignol swinging on four pitches for the second out. So far, so good so far as the strategy is concerned. However, Inaba follows this with a ground ball up the middle. This looks like it's sure to get through to center, but Nakazawa makes a tremendous diving stop on the ball, tosses the ball to second - NOT in time! Ogasawara beats the throw to second! Morimoto is continuing around third and coming home. By the time the Hawks know what's going on, it's too late! Morimoto slides into home well before the throw from second; sayonara!

Saitoh has to be carried off the mound by his team mates as he's a complete emotional wreck. Matoba looked similarly distraught sitting behind the celebrations at home plate.

Congratulations to the Pacific League Champions - Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters.
Comments
Re: PLPO S2G2: Sayonara!
[ Author: mvk20! | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 12:17 AM | YG Fan ]

Thanks for the narrative - that was great! Hope I can find a highlight reel soon!
[ Author: rockfender | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 1:36 AM | HNHF Fan ]

What a story! I'm so happy for the Fighters. I just so happened to see them this year in the Sapporo Dome because I was doing a home stay in Hokkaido over the summer. Their pitching has really come into its own; I definitely wouldn't want to play them in the Japan Series right now, given the way they've been rolling over the past few weeks.
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 8:43 PM | CD Fan ]

Seconded; they're going to be a very tough challenge for my Dragons. Yagi and Darvish are just pitching out of their minds right now, and Seguignol and company do just enough to win, whether they need 1 run or 8. When it comes to facing the Fighters' phenoms, the Dragons have experience on their side, so I hope it plays into their favor.

Still, let our two teams give Japan the best Japan Series they will ever experience! I personally couldn't have asked for a better match up; it's the two teams with the longest Japan Series droughts, and on the NPB thread I run on another message board, one of the guys on there became a Fighters fan, so we're going to have it pumped up in there! I'm sure fans of our teams will enjoy this too, win or lose.

(I know, that's completely different in tone from what I've been posting previously on board, but from what I've heard, league titles are a big deal in Japan no matter what happens in the Japan Series. So with the league title in hand, I can just enjoy the Japan Series for what it is. )
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 6:10 AM | TYS Fan ]

Congratulations to the Fighters!

As a side note, I feel a special mention must be given to the supporters up there in Sapporo. The atmosphere seemed fantastic and they really got behind their team.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:31 AM | NIP Fan ]

Blogger went down almost immediately after the game ended yesterday so I wasn't able to write a summary here with my notes, but it's back up now if you want to read my slightly-more-detailed version in my Liveblogging post on Marinerds.

I took about 30 screenshots during the game and intend to actually crop them down and make a more coherent game summary article tomorrow with some other stuff, I'll link or repost that here too when I'm done with it.

I have a few discrepancies with Westbay's report - notably that Cabrera grounded out to third, not short, at the end of the top of the second inning, and that the Zuleta incident in the top of the fifth would have been avoided if he'd actually run to second base on the wild pitch that Yagi threw during Cabrera's at-bat.

I'm absolutely ecstatic for the Fighters. I have to admit that part of why I became a fan of them a few years ago is that I would rather root for an interesting team than for a big winner, and this year they became both an interesting team and a big winner! I have to completely second Hillman-kantoku's evaluation of the situation: 信じられない. I can't believe it either.

Even crazier, neither team went to their bullpen in this game. And the Fighters didn't go to their awesome bullpen at all in the series. Darvish and Yagi, neither of whom were alive last time the Fighters were even in the Japan Series, both threw complete game wins.

The one real downside of the game is that Kazumi Saitoh had to lose. He completely won me over this season, and even though I'm not a Hawks fan, I've enjoyed watching him to the point that I took a train 200 miles to Sendai for an afternoon just to see him pitch when I was in Japan last month. I can't imagine the wreck he must be after losing two 1-0 playoff games like that. Nikkan Sports has a picture of him being carried off the field by Cabrera and Zuleta and it just breaks my heart.

Yeah, I fully enjoyed keeping the Internet broadcast on for about an hour and a half after the game, watching the fans celebrate, watching the players celebrate, seeing them presented with the pennants, and then giving a press conference wearing "PACIFIC LEAGUE CHAMPION" shirts. I will never ever forget those moments. But I'll also never ever forget Matoba and Saitoh's post-game shock, either.

Anyway, on to Nagoya and the Dragons! I think this'll be a really interesting and intriguing Japan Series, even if half the people in Japan will be watching these games like "Who the heck are these guys?"
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 11:28 AM | CLM Fan ]

Even though I support Chiba Lotte, I really wanted to see the Dragons and Fighters in the Series. They're just two very fresh and exciting teams.

Too bad for Kazumi and the Hawks. That rotation got the Hawks to this point, but when your DH is Inamine and Shibahara is your #3 batter, it's going to be very difficult to advance.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 2:06 PM ]

Yeah, it's great to see the success of the Fighters! I was worried that a baseball team in Sapporo might not stay popular too long if the Fighters continued to be the Fighters of old. So it was amazing to see such a packed Sapporo Dome and even see people doing the wave. Imagine the wave with the old Ham Fighters playing in Tokyo Dome! And it's great to see the fans have embraced the team as a whole and the prima donna Shinjo isn't taking center stage at the moment. I was set to root for the Dragons against the Lions or Hawks, but now I'm a Ham supporter. Hey, I lived in Sapporo for 5 years, so don't call me a bandwagon jumper!
[ Author: himself | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 10:27 PM | FSH Fan ]

I would also like to congratulate the Fighters for their victory. They've earned every success they've achieved so far. It stinks that the pennant came at the Hawks' extent, but hey, what can I do? The Fighters were the better team.

Good luck to both Chunichi and Nippon Ham in the Series. Game on!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 14, 2006 9:29 AM | NIP Fan ]

If it's appropriate to post these, I have about 50 screen captures from Game 2 online. The 768k feed is really neat! I mostly just got random shots of the fans, players, and a whole bunch of the post-game stuff.

I sort of wonder how much of the Japan Series will be viewable online. I assume the Fighters will broadcast their home games, but I have no idea what the Dragons have been doing.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Oct 14, 2006 2:46 PM | FSH Fan ]

Deana, I don't know. From what I see, TV Bank is not showing even the Fighters' home games for the Nippon Series. So as of now I don't think there is any free streaming for the Nippon Series.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.