Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Scandalous Giants

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Scandalous Giants
Every generation of former Giants' fans has a scandal that pushed them over the edge, forcing them to seek out a team that isn't so monsterous in the way it treats its members, fans, and the leagues in general. The Egawa Incident was probably the biggest scandal that sent most fans looking for virtue in other teams. The treatment of Ochiai after getting Kiyohara pushed me over the edge. And now, just two weeks into the off-season, the current generation of Giant fan gets a double dose of scandal to contemplate.

Null-san already pointed out here that Daiei gave away their #4 hitting third baseman for no money in return a couple of days ago. Fans and players alike are outraged at this. If Daiei is so hard up for cash that they'd be willing to let go of Kokubo, then why not get cash for him? Especially when dealing him off to the richest team in Japan? It just doesn't make sense.

Now, think about what kind of non-monetary "favor" might Daiei want in return? In particular, what might Daiei want from Watanabe-owner? Well, Nabetsu has been very critical of Daiei's desire to sell the team, recently speaking out against Daiei's move to swap stock in the ball club for "dead equity" stock in Daiei's department store chain. (That's what I understood as going on. Please, someone interested in business and finance correct me if I'm wrong. That isn't a field I well versed in reading in Japanese.)

Now, out of the blue, Daiei turns to this wind-bag and offers him a star player for nothing (other than to take his 2-oku yen salary off their hands). Will Nabetsu lighten up on the possiblity of accepting the team being sold? Possiblity without the steep entrance fee that keeps most prospective buyers out of the bidding? Guess we'll have to wait and see if Watanabe's views change in the next few months.

The second scandal actually happened before the Kokubo Zero Yen Trade. Naturally, it involved Watanabe speaking inappropriately.

The Giants' Watanabe-owner said that he would really like to get Rhodes. In and of itself, not out of character for Watanabe, and I'm sure that several other owners have the same thoughts going through their heads. But the fact that Nabetsu said it does cause problems for others - particularly the Buffaloes.

Consider, the Buffaloes are in negotiations with Rhodes, and Rhodes hears that the Giants' Mr. Moneybags is interested in him, as does the Buffs' front office. Rhodes wants a multi-year deal, but Kintetsu is unwilling to budge in that regard. There's no longer any doubt that he can get what he wants from the Giants. Kintetsu is now in a very hard place to negotiate from. (On the other hand, this statement really helps Rhodes out a lot.)

Kintetsu is charging Watanabe with tampering, and many others are echoing this charge. The answer from the Commissioners' Office regarding these charges is that no investigation will be conducted. Essentially, Watanabe can cause all the trouble he likes and he isn't going to even get a slap on the wrist. (Sounds so much like Bush telling the Department of Justice to let Microsoft off the hook despite being found guilty of anti-competitive practices, not once, but twice, never recieving any kind of penalty whatsoever.)

Kintetsu's Nashida-kantoku, upset about the lack of action by the Commissioners' Office, stated that a Commissioner who's been in the field is needed. Someone like Nagashima or Hoshino, who can stand up to Watanabe. (I'm sure some of you will question Nagashima's mention there, but he was anything but Nabetsu's puppet while he managed the Giants, often doing the exact opposite of Watanabe's wishes.) Currently, the Commissioner is a business leader with strong ties to the owners - someone Watanabe can control. This is a major factor in the ineptness of the NPB Commissioner to get anything constructive done.

For those of you still new to Pro Yakyu, Tsuneo Watanabe (Nabetsu = Watanabe Tsuneo) is the owner of the Giants, Japan's richest team. Think of him as George Steinbrenner with more power and influence than a popular U.S. President.
Comments
Re: Scandalous Giants
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 6, 2003 1:55 AM ]

The fact it appears (at the very least) that the Yomiuri Giants can do as they please without any discipline from the other teams or the Commissioner is a tremendous weakness of NPB, IMO. In MLB, Steinbrenner may not like it, but he does have to abide by the rules. He can and does throw his considerable influence about to make those rules as favorable as he reasonably can for himself and his team, but abides by the rules that are in place. He also uses his economic resources to do as he pleases, but again, he pays his luxury tax for his large payroll, grumbling all the while.

I'm not sure a situation like the Yankees in MLB is healthy for that league, but it is far more healthy than Yomiuri's apparent immunity from the rules in NPB.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 8, 2003 1:32 AM | HT Fan ]

I agree with Jim. This year's Giants-free Nippon Series set new attendance records -- an indication that a more balanced, competitive NPB is better for the fans. Hopefully there will one day be a Commissioner who realises this.

In other news, remember the "Toritani" scandal? If you don't, Toritani Takashi was the top batter in the Tokyo Six University League. Watanabe had an idea to draft him, then let him move to the Major Leauges a few years later. Toritani has signed with Hanshin, thus pre-empting this kind of move by the Giants.
[ Author: Guest: ed katakura | Posted: Nov 21, 2003 8:43 PM ]

With the new business relationship between the Giants and the Yankees they have created a new marketing monster on both sides of the Pacific. (Thanks in part to a former Dan Nomura lawyer who was hired by the Yanks as a VP of international operations in the Matsui deal.) They are taking over the world!

But seriously, the power of Nabetsu is annoying. It's time we pull a "Bouton" on him (the former Yankee 20 game winner and knuckleballer).

Therefore, I am looking for good sources on the Giants in either English or Japanese. I know "You Gotta Have Wa," but if you guys have any other suggestions, they'd be more then welcome. It's pretty amazing how little has been published about the Giants in book form considering their status. I guess Nabetsu has something to do with that phenomenon.

Robert Whiting became persona non grata after he published his book. Looking forward to replies.

BTW, a friend of mine played with the Giants in the early 1990's, he told me that the club provided Matsui special treatment for his "nikibi" (zits). If only he would tell me more.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.