Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

5 Runs on 1 Hit - May 22, 2013

Discussion in the Bayside West: Yokohama forum
5 Runs on 1 Hit - May 22, 2013
Kai-wen Cheng, who started the third game of the season for Yokohama back on March 31, allowing 4 runs in 2+ innings, got recalled to the top team to start against the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks. While he allowed only 1 hit through 5 innings of work, he Cheng allowed an insurmountable 5 runs over that course.

How in the world does one allow 5 runs on 1 hit?

Well, walking three batters and allowing the number 7 batter in the 1st inning to hit a grand slam home run to left might be a good start. Then allow just one baserunner, on a walk, up until the 5th inning when one plunks the leadoff batter, allows him to swipe second, move to third on a foul fly to the second baseman, then come home on a sacrifice fly.

Yeah, that'll probably do it.

Unfortunately, that's exactly how Cheng's outing went this evening in Fukuoka.

Right after Yokohama managed to reply with one run in the top of the 7th on a leadoff double by Tony Blanco followed by an RBI base hit to right by none other than the hot hitting Norihiro Nakamura, the Hawks added 2 more to their half of the scoreboard against Takehiro Fukuda in his second inning of work. At least Fukuoka had to earn these with a pair of extra base hits and a single.

On the mound for SoftBank was former BayStar, Hayato Terahara. Having come full circle in his career (Daiei/SoftBank -> Yokohama -> Orix -> SoftBank), Terahara pitched brilliantly. He struck out 5 while allowing just 3 hits through 7 innings. Other than when Yokohama scored in the 7th, the only threat came in the 4th inning when a leadoff walk and base hit put runners at first and second with nobody out. Down by 4 runs, Yokohama did not bunt, but were still only able to get a runner as far as third with two outs.

Despite the really good pitcher's duel that lasted exactly 3 hours, SoftBank ran away with this one 7-1.

As Hiroshima was the only Central League team to manage a win, the standings remain pretty much the same, Yokohama actually losing a half game to Hanshin who blew a 5-run lead to tie Lotte in Chiba. (After this game ended, that was the one I enjoyed watching for the next 2+ hours.)
Comments
Re: 5 Runs on 1 Hit - May 22, 2013
[ Author: Guest: Scott Shaffer | Posted: May 24, 2013 4:09 AM ]

Thank you so much for letting me know of Justin.tv. I had the house awake a little early when I realized I was actually watching the Baystars live!!! Even though they lost it was still and blast and today was better, they won!!

Take Care!!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.