Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What the doctor ordered …

Discussion in the Japanese Baseball Daily forum
What the doctor ordered …

Nishimura goes distance as Giants stop bad streak

The Yomiuri Giants had lost a club-record-tying eight straight to the Yakult Swallows and were giving Kentaro Nishimura a spot-start smack in the middle of a stretch of nine games in as many days.

Nishimura came up with his first career complete game, carrying a no-hit bid into the sixth inning as the Giants wrestled the Central League-leading Swallows to the ground for a 6-3 win at Tokyo Dome on Saturday.

Nishimura (2-0), who went seven innings to win his previous start -- his first victory since last May 20, needed 139 pitches to work through the Yakult lineup, allowing five hits, two walks and a hit batter with five Ks.

Second-year star Hisayoshi Chono backed the eighth-year righty, socking his 11th longball and adding an RBI single as a fill-in in the cleanup spot for the injured Alex Ramirez.

“Rami-chan is out injured and I don’t think I can hit like Rami, but I hope I can gets some hits and let the guys behind me do their work,” Chono said.

Saburo Omura doubled and added two singles and an RBI, and Yoshinobu Takahashi also doubled and singled to score twice for the fifth-place Giants.

CARP 4, DRAGONS 2

Yoshihiro Maru had an RBI single and a two-run blast as the Carp came back to beat slumping Chunichi at Nagoya Dome.

The Dragons have dropped five of six.

TIGERS 10, BAYSTARS 2

Tomoaki Kanemoto had three hits, including just his fourth home run, and four RBIs, and Takahiro Arai had three hits and an RBI as Hanshin routed host Yokohama.

PACIFIC LEAGUE

FIGHTERS 3, LIONS 2

Eiichi Koyano’s RBI groundout in the sixth inning broke a 1-1 tie and Hisashi Takeda nailed down his Japan-best 24th save with a 1-2-3 ninth as Nippon Ham downed Seibu at Sapporo Dome.

EAGLES 6, BUFFALOES 1

Rookie southpaw Takahiro Shiomi (3-4) scattered six hits and fanned 10 with no walks, and Kensuke Uchimura hit a bases-clearing triple in the sixth as Rakuten downed Orix at the Kleenex Box.

MARINES 1, HAWKS 1

Masato Watanabe drew a bases-loaded walk, the sixth of the night off Toshiya Sugiuchi, as Lotte pulled even in the eighth inning and the teams played to a 10-inning stalemate at The Q.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.