Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shiny new ’Star ...

Discussion in the Japanese Baseball Daily forum
Shiny new ’Star ...

Rookie Kagami has a night to remember

Yokohama BayStars rookie Kisho Kagami had a night remember in his first pro start.

The right-hander not only held the Hanshin Tigers to a run on four hits and no walks with six Ks, he came up with his first hit -- a double -- and scored the tying run in a two-run sixth-inning rally as the BayStars came from a run down to win 2-1 on Wednesday night at Koshien Stadium.

Kagami said his focus was on the basics.
“I’m just glad I was able to go out and keep us in the game,” the 23-year-old said. “I just kept my eyes on [Toshiki] Kurobane’s glove and tried to follow through on my pitches.

“I’m very happy, I’m going to send one [of the two games balls -- one for his hit] to my parents’ house.”

Hanshin’s Matt Murton went 1-for-4, dropping his average to .311, second best in the Central League.

DRAGONS 4, SWALLOWS 1

Kazuki Yoshimi (18-3) tossed two perfect innings in relief, and Keiji Oyama stroked an RBI triple and scored in the third as CL-winning Chunichi beat visiting Yakult to finish with a winning record against the Swallows for the first time in four years.

Yoshimi won his career-best 10th straight decision, helping skipper Hiromitsu Ochiai clinch a winning record against the other five CL teams over his eight years on the Chunichi bench.

PACIFIC LEAGUE

EAGLES 5, MARINES 2

Takahiro Shiomi (9-9) equaled Masahiro Tanaka’s club record with his fourth complete game by tossing a career-low two-best gem as Rakuten beat Lotte at the Kleenex Box.

Luis Garcia doubled in a run in the first and hit a sac fly in the fifth to back Shiomi, who walked one and fanned four.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.