Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kagawa Olive Guyners in English

Discussion in the Independent Leagues forum
Kagawa Olive Guyners in English
Hello everyone,

I'm writin to ask you if somebody knows where we can find some news written in English that talk about Kagawa Olive and all the league.

We are all fans of Alex Maestri, the Italian pitcher, but we can't find any news about that.
Comments
Re: Kagawa Olive Guyners in English
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 1, 2012 9:16 AM | YBS Fan ]

Gen's Yakyu Baka site has the most information in English out there for the independent leagues in general and Island League Plus in particular.

Google Translate is useful for getting information directly from the Guyners' official site. It'll even translate directly to Italian.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Zunflaz | Posted: Apr 8, 2012 1:09 AM ]

Grazie! Really useful. I'm trying to find some good news from the web to put in Alex Maestri's website.
[ Author: Guest: JJake | Posted: Jan 12, 2017 1:30 PM ]

I want to know what is an Olive Guyner.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 19, 2017 8:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

It's kind of late, but this message wasn't showing up on my pending list.

Nonetheless, a "guyner" is a bit of a play on words with an obscure dialect.

The local dialect in Kagawa Prefecture is Sanuki-ben. [Wikipedia reference] The team's name comes from a combination of Kagawa Prefecture's official tree (the olive tree) and the word for "strong" in Sanuki-ben, Gaina. [Kagawa Olive Guyners Wikipedia page in Japanese] The word gaina is then morphed to look English-ish as "Guyner."

Hope this helps to clear it up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.