Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Single-Season HR Record

Discussion in the Records and Milestones forum
Single-Season HR Record
Anyone know the single-season HR record? I seem to remember Tuffy Rhodes breaking it a year or so ago. But how about Alex Cabrera? Does he have a shot this year?
Comments
Re: Single-Season HR Record
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 23, 2003 9:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sadaharu Oh (currently managing the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks) set the record at 55 in 1964.

Tuffy Rhodes (Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes) tied that record in 2001.

Alex Cabrera (Seibu Lions) also tied the record in 2002 as reported in this thread.

[If you want to whine about them getting pitched to, read the relevant threads (you may need to use a search engine) and reply there.]
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Aug 24, 2003 5:47 PM | FSH Fan ]

Well, as posted, there have been a few to tie it. But I doubt that any of these people will ever beat the single season record. The reason for this is the same reason Matsui won't get rookie of the year, and the same reason Ichiro didn't when he came out here.
Ichiro was Rookie of the Year
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 24, 2003 7:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

Huh? Ichiro did win the 2001 Rookie of the Year [MLB.com], getting all but one vote for the award.

I don't understand your arguement.
Re: Ichiro was Rookie of the Year
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Aug 24, 2003 9:25 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, Ichiro Suzuki was the 2001 American League Rookie of the Year, and Kazuhiro Sasaki was the 2000 American League Rookie of the Year. Hideo Nomo was the 1995 National League Rookie of the Year.
Fair?
[ Author: Guest: UMASS | Posted: Aug 26, 2003 6:32 PM ]

Niibu-ya san may mean that the Majors is fair while NPB is not?
Re: Ichiro was Rookie of the Year
[ Author: Guest: oli | Posted: Aug 27, 2003 7:52 AM ]

Not only did Ichiro win ROY, he was the AL MVP in 2001! I'm sure you guys were well aware of that! Right?
Matsui as Rookie of the Year?
[ Author: Satchel | Posted: Aug 28, 2003 1:25 PM ]

This brings up a good question; should Matsui win ROY? From what I know of the AL rookies, he's the best.
Re: Matsui as Rookie of the Year?
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Aug 31, 2003 3:56 PM ]

Since Matsui's primary competition is Angel Berroa of the Kansas City Royals, he will likely win. Not that Berroa is bad. It's just that not a lot of people have heard of him.

Berroa is a shortstop. His OPS is .808 and Matsui is .796.
[ Author: Satchel | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 3:04 AM ]

I think Matsui will step it up again soon. he's been slumping (like most of the Yankees), but he'll finish strong. And once people realize that HRs aren't everything and take a look at his doubles and other stats, they'll give it to him. He deserves it.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 10:41 AM ]

I like Matsui, but if the numbers for Berroa and Matsui hold up, I'd go for Berroa unless he 1) missed a lot of games, or 2) is a butcher in the field. A shortstop who hits as well as an outfielder (maybe even a little better) is almost always more valuable unless one of the two conditions I outlined above apply.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: UMASS | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 11:22 AM ]

- Since Matsui's primary competition is Angel Berroa of the Kansas City Royals ...

Beroa has been playing for Kansas since 2001. He is still considered a rookie? If so, he would be a big rival for Matsui, because of his age of 25 compared to Godzila at 29(?). Another primary competition would be a pitcher? I don't remember his name. Any one help?
[ Author: Satchel | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 3:09 PM ]

The stud rookie pitchers are all in the National League, it seems. Willis, Webb, Tsao (if he didn't play at Coors), etc. There's probably a few decent ones in the American League, but I can't think of any off-hand.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Sep 1, 2003 3:45 PM ]

Berroa's nickname in the Kansas City clubhouse is "Roy" for "Rookie of the Year." His previous stints with the Royals were short enough that he is still considered a rookie. Nevertheless, I would be shocked if Matsui did not win the award. RBIs are such a popular stat that it will be impossible to ignore Mr. 4-3.
[ Author: maria_eug_3001 | Posted: Mar 10, 2004 11:23 AM ]

He has the ability to repeat such a feat as he demonstrats each season, if they give the opportunity to him. He is the best aqui in Venezuela.

[Bablefish helped make this message readable to those of us who don't speak Spanish.]

El tiene las condiciones para repetir tal haza

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.