Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Sports Dailies - Any Good?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese Sports Dailies - Any Good?
I've been thinking of grabbing a sports daily in Japanese to give me a bit of reading material for practice. I'm mostly only interested in the baseball articles, and now that the season has begun, I figure it's a good time to check them out.

Are there any that stand above the rest, particularly in the Kansai region? Are they worth buying?
Comments
Re: Japanese Sports Dailies - Any Good?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 28, 2008 5:09 PM | HAN Fan ]

For sheer vibrancy and energy, the Daily Sports is the one to read. It's also the de facto Tigers papers and contains everything you could want on the Tigers.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 28, 2008 5:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

In the Kansai region, you'll find that Daily Sports is probably the most popular as it deals almost exclusively with the Hanshin Tigers. If you want a round opinion of what's going on in the rest of baseball, I doubt you'll get it from there.

Sports Hochi is equally Giants-centric. But they do have very good coverage of Koshien (at least on their web site).

I subscribe to Nikkan Sports (Kanto edition). While several of the writers are clearly biased toward the Giants, the editor does a good job of promoting Pacific League teams fairly evenly with the Central League teams. The past few years, it seems that the editor may have even had a preference for the PL as the Pacific League stars have graced the front page very often. (The weekend editor seems to avoid baseball on the front page very often.)

I've liked Sponichi Annex on-line for a quick round up/summary of the day's action and news.

Sanspo (Sankei Sports) and most of the evening papers are best avoided unless you like geinokai (celebrity) news. Sanspo is responsible for the whole "Darvish will be posted after this season" rumor (which you'll notice that none of the other sports dailies even bothered to repeat). They started another annoying rumor during the off season, but I don't recall what it was any more - just that a number of foreign news agencies picked it up and reprinted it without validating. I like the Sankei Group (Fuji TV). But Sanspo should be only read for entertainment, not information.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 29, 2008 2:49 PM | HT Fan ]

- Sanspo should be only read for entertainment, not information.

Once you can work out what's fact and what's clearly speculation, some of the made up bits are hilarious.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Mar 28, 2008 11:31 PM | NIP Fan ]

How good/fast is your reading?

For me, I buy Shukan Baseball every week and just keep it in my bag and read it whenever I have spare time on the train. It takes me about a week to get through everything I'm interested in in one issue, so it seems just about right. It's not a daily, it's a weekly magazine that costs 350-380 yen, but it reports on all teams and the majors and there's always something new and interesting in it (plus the "Locker Room" segments alone are usually worth the issue in amusement value). There's also a baseball-related crossword puzzle in every issue and I've found that to be a lot of fun to try every week as well (though I get a lot of weird looks on the train).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.