Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Morimoto's Corny Stunt

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Morimoto's Corny Stunt
I think Morimoto's "corny stunt" was a bit too much, don't you think? I don't find it amusing and I think they don't do it for the sake of the amusement of the fans. I think it's just plain vanity. Do teams from the Central League do the same corny antics like the Fighters' players do?
Comments
Re: Morimoto's Corny Stunt
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:43 PM | YBS Fan ]

This is the second nameless attack on NPB in two days. But this attack has one major flaw:

It doesn't state which corny stunt is under fire.

Hichiro does a lot of stunts. And the fans love him for them. It's not about baseball purism or vanity. It's about having fun. There are so many MLB fans who complain about Japanese players being too serious - working baseball instead of playing the game. Morimoto stands as an example that such a stereotype does not hold. (It reminds me of the lose-lose arguements about uniforms - if the uniform is original then it's a "beer league" uniform and should look more like MLB uniforms; if the uniform looks like an MLB uniform then it's a "rip off." No one can win.)

Different people like different aspects of the game here in Japan. There are some who dislike some aspects. (Read the write-in editorials in The Japan Times, it's full of people who want this or that aspect of Japan to be more like the country they're from. My theory is that the people who write them are bullies and preditors in their own countries but don't fit in here, so they want the rules to work to the advantage of the lazy instead of those who work hard.)

What is the purpose of your complaining? How does putting down random aspects of NPB benefit you or whom ever you serve?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 25, 2008 2:26 PM ]

Well, rapelling down from the ceiling is quite vain.

I am not one of those who think that Japanese baseball is too serious. I love it the way it is. And Morimoto's corny stunt is just my opinion, and I know that I'm not the only one who feel this way. The way they are doing things to make the viewers focus more on them is making me hate them more. I think they should do stunts that are connected to the game and the whole team should benefit from them.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jul 25, 2008 6:12 PM ]

Morimoto is the spiritual younger brother of Shinjo. And Shinjo made a huge splash in Hokkaido when the Fighters first moved up there, partly due to his often corny stunts. But some of the stunts done by Shinjo and Morimoto are neat. Like the full Darth Vader costume, or having five teammates in Shinjo masks, Morimoto's Piccolo look at one All Star game, etc.

The Fighters now have a strong and broad fan base, but Shinjo and Morimoto's appeal and antics are part of the reason why people started paying attention to the Fighters and were eventually turned onto baseball itself.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Jul 31, 2008 1:22 PM | SFT Fan ]

I think Morimoto sometimes tries too hard to be Shinjo, but I personally love it. He's hilarious, and Pro Yakyu is better off for it. MLB needs somebody like Morimoto in there, but then again, most people in that league are a bunch of clowns anyway buh da dum, kish!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 1, 2008 3:26 AM ]

The MLB has a "side show" attraction; he's called Manny Ramirez or "Man-Ram." His latest suggestion was to be traded to Green Bay for Brett Favre. (WTF?!?)

A lot of times I watch the Red Sox just to see the latest in the "Man-Ram" saga. Now he might be bringing his act to South Florida; will it put butts in the seats? Because that's what they really need.
OT: Man-Ram
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 1, 2008 10:01 AM ]

UPDATE: "Man-Ram" will be taking his act south, but on the opposite coast?!?

He will be joining former Yankee manager Torre, former Atlanta Braves CF A. Jones and SS R. Furcal, former Florida Marlins CF J. Pierre, former Astros/Giants/Cardinals/Mets/Indians/Blue Jays 2B J. Kent and former Red Sox team mate SS N. Garciaparra.

So what does that make of the LA Dodgers? Dump city I guess; where former greats go to pasture (or surfing).

I can see the new city slogan now; "Catch the wave, retire in LA". And how about a new team motto: "Dodgers: The OTHER LA Team."

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 2, 2008 1:17 AM | NIP Fan ]

Hichori is kind of different than Shinjo though. Shinjo's stunts were more showman-like, trying to entertain, whereas Hichori's stunts are more goofy, trying to make people laugh.

Either way, Hichori is awesome. He's just a bucket of smiles.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Aug 1, 2008 9:31 PM | YOK Fan ]

Screw Frank McCourt and his penny pinching ways. Dude can't even fund a decent team and turned a once great franchise into a joke. Good thing my Cubs saw the light and started spending. Now look at them! HA HA.

Anyways, leave Morimoto alone. He adds something to baseball that makes it more enjoyable for most people (if not all). As serious as Japanese baseball fans can be, it's good to have laughter in the air every now and then at the ballpark.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 4, 2008 3:21 PM ]

Well, I guess that's my problem. I love HAWKS so much that I can't help but hate the other teams. I wanted to know more about the other teams because I want to be a baseball fan and not just a Hawks fan. But I can't seem to get myself to know them better.

Anyway, I love Deanna but I hate the Fighters. That's the best I can do.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.