Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Saburo to Stay with Marines.

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Saburo to Stay with Marines.
Free agent Saburo has chosen to stay in Chiba with the Lotte Marines. His salary went up 3,000-man and is now 1-oku. Having lost a couple of players in the past seasons, this is good news for Marines fans. Now let's hope Lotte can hold on to Shimizu and Hashimoto, too.
Comments
Re: Saburo to Stay with Marines.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 10:34 PM | SFT Fan ]

Yeah, but I think his intention is to help Chiba win a pennant, he said; though the current agreement is a 2 year deal. It's always possible he could try for the big leagues after that deal is over, but at the age of 32 I feel this is the best time ever to go now. I'd still like to know further what is the 360 degree turnaround for Saburo though. He just a few days ago seemed so certain and not now.
Re: Saburo to Stay with Marines.
[ Author: Guest: N 26 | Posted: Nov 12, 2008 5:03 AM ]

Though Saburo was on Hoshino Japan, I'd not say he is a super star all star player. He is a good contact hitter and has decent power together with solid fielding in the outfield. In a good season in Chiba I'd say he could hit somewhere around .290 with 20 homers, and the question is if that is good enough for him to get a lot of playing time in the Majors. I think it would be wise for him to stay put, and as a Marines fan, I'm glad he will for now as he is one of the better players on the team. He is definitely not in the Godzilla, Ichiro category but has more power than Taguchi and higher average than Shinjo.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.