Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Interfering Fans, Home Run Dolls?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Interfering Fans, Home Run Dolls?
Has anyone ever seen an interfering fan run onto the field in Japanese baseball?

Also, I've heard that home run hitters get a doll as a reward once they're done circling the bases. What does the doll look like? How big is it?
Comments
Re: Interfering Fans, Home Run Dolls?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 10:59 AM | HAN Fan ]

It happened in the past - Koshien had barbed wire around the field perimeter in the past to keep the fans in the stands.

Home run dolls are small replicas of the team mascots and they are thrown into the crowd by the player who hit the home run (about 15 centimeters in height I would estimate). So they vary from team to team. Some clubs give bigger dolls as well which are retained by the player.
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 11:30 AM | CD Fan ]

To answer your first question, probably not; I'd imagine it's difficult as many of the parks in Japan have high walls and lots of netting. It would have had to happened in the distant past.

As for your second question, it's basically a mascot plush doll like the ones you can get in the team store. They usually throw it up into the crowd after receiving it anyways.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 1:32 PM | HAN Fan ]

Here [Korea Beat] is an article about fans running on the field in the Korean Baseball Organization.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 2:14 PM | YBS Fan ]

I don't think that anyone referred to such fans as "interesting," though. Not nearly so kind words used to describe them come to mind.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.