Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese League DVDs?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese League DVDs?
Are there any sources for getting exciting Japanese league games on DVD, and would they work on DVD players in the United States? Thank you.
Comments
Re: Japanese League DVDs?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 27, 2007 8:30 AM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, you can buy various season highlights etc., and some clubs do do DVD season summaries. However, you need an all zone DVD player to run them as U.S. and Japan are in different zones (1 and 2 respectively). A standard player will not show a DVD from another zone. You can often use your computer to run any zone DVDs as the players in computers are also all zone.

[Editor's note: While computer DVDs will often work as an any zone player, there are often BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) hooks that only allow the zone to be changed a limited number of times. You'll need to consult your computer's documentation to see what limitations are placed on you in the name of the MPAA.]
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 27, 2007 3:51 PM | NIP Fan ]

Yeah, you'd almost definitely need a Region 2 player.

I have to say, the Fighters 2006 "Big Dream!" 2-DVD set was fantastic. Not only did it have highlights of the entire post season, and information about the players and all, but it also had footage from the 1962 and 1981 Japan Series, and it had highlights of every Fighters game from the 2006 season. Not just the wins or the exciting ones, but even ones like "we came, we saw, we got our butts kicked."
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 28, 2007 2:01 AM ]

Although it doesn't feature pro leagues, there's an excellent documentary called "Koko Yakyu" that was made about the Japanese high school baseball tournament at Koshien. It's a great insight into both Japanese baseball and culture in general. Just search "Koshien" under DVDs on Amazon and you can find it. It's sold in the U.S., so it will play on your U.S. DVD player. Highly recommended.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 6, 2007 12:34 AM | CLM Fan ]

VLC Media Player is a free piece of software that also acts as a region free DVD player. If you have a wide screen LCD monitor, it'll also upscale video up to 16:10 ratio. I use it to watch my American DVDs.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.