Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where is Seguignol?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Where is Seguignol?
Can anyone tell me what happed to Frenando "Seggy-sama" Seguignol, one of the most exciting and great players of all time? He was a big factor for the recent success of the Fighters. Even while not having any protection last year, he managed to clock 21 home runs. And he did a great job in the playoffs once again.

There are some teams this year that could use that big bat and experience. He is only 33.
Comments
Re: Where is Seguignol?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Feb 11, 2008 10:08 AM | SFT Fan ]

Seguignol was not brought back by the Fighters, and by the way he hit last year I can't blame the Fighters for not re-signing him. His average bombed to .249 from .295 and his slugging percentage fell 104 points. Also he failed to hit with runners in scoring position (going from .300 to .245).

I'm sorry, but he's no longer a viable option these days.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:45 AM | NIP Fan ]

You know, I'm a big Fighters fan and very biased of course, but I think you're being a bit harsh on Seggy. Yeah, he had a bad year last year but to be fair, the entire team had a miserable season offensively, and Seggy was usually batting behind Inaba, not ahead of him, which didn't help. I imagine it's got to be a lot easier batting between Ogasawara and Inaba than between Inaba and ... someone else. Seguignol still had the second-highest SLG on the team, which isn't saying much when playing in the Sapporo Igloo, and still had the most home runs and second-most RBI's on the team.

(You know, now that I am looking at his splits on Yahoo - and he still hit .285 against left-handed pitching - it claims that he had 5 plate appearances against RHP as a right-handed batter and he hit home runs in 3 of them. Is that for real? I honestly never paid attention to what side he was hitting from for the most part, aside from the game I went to at the Osaka Dome in late 2006 where he homered from both sides of the plate, which totally ruled.)

I know there's a lot of rumors about his knees, and it's true he's not the world's best defensive first baseman and might not really be able to carry a team as a DH anymore, although to be fair I think he'd still be reasonable in another stadium. (I mean, he hit 3 of his home runs in the Sapporo Dome last year. Three out of 21! Sheesh!)

[Sadly waves bananas.]
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Feb 16, 2008 7:08 AM | SFT Fan ]

It really depends on how much money a team throws at Seguignol. If he expected a team to throw wads of cash at him, I would forget it. If he was willing to play for a bargain, then I'd sign him as there would be no reason not to take a chance.

Going through those splits, it shows Seguignol struggled against righties batting left handed (.227 with 11 HRs and 45 RBI in 322 ABs).

Now moving on to where could Seguignol play? I'd say we could count the Central League out since his knees aren't as good as they once were, and like you said, he isn't the best defensive first baseman. Looking through the Pacific League teams I can't really see where he'd fit in at as a DH.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.