Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Foreign Players?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Foreign Players?
Hi all.

New to this site. First off, just want to say how neat it is that there's such a great following (and coverage) of Japanese baseball. I've already learned a lot about the game and its differences with MLB, etc.

Anyways, I'm looking to come up with a list of foreign players in the NPB over the last several years for a story I'm working on. I'm particularly interested in Canadian players. My starting point is Aaron Guiel with the Swallows. Let the list begin?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Comments
Re: Foreign Players?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 1, 2011 9:15 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'm afraid that there really haven't been that many Canadians. Since I started keeping records in 1995, here's the brief list that I have:

Canada Betts, Todd 2003-2003 YAK
Canada Ducey, Rob 1995-1996 NIP
Canada Guiel, Aaron 2007-2010 YAK
Canada Johnson, Mike 2002-2002 KIN
Canada Myette, Aaron 2005-2005 RAK
Canada Wilson, Nigel 1997-2002 KIN

I know that Canadian Matt Stairs played for Chunichi in 1993, and I'm sure there are many more missing.

In fact, please have a look at the Japan Baseball Daily Data Warehouse for a full historical list of foreign players. The foreign players are listed separately, so you'll need to scroll down to find foreign batters and foreign pitchers following the Japanese batters and pitchers respectively.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: Todd | Posted: Feb 1, 2011 11:16 AM ]

Wow, that was a great help. Thanks very much.

You're right, not a lot of Canadians. Wilson looks like the longest-serving Canuck. A quick check shows Guiel could pass him in at-bats with a full season this year though.

Would you know, by chance, how Canadians are received by Japanese fans (generally speaking)? I've heard that Guiel, at least in the beginning, was welcomed with open arms. Is that true?

Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Feb 2, 2011 1:31 AM | HAN Fan ]

Canadian players are welcomed in the same manner as players from the USA and Latin-America - with anticipation and hope. There are a small group of fans who would prefer no foreign players - including Koreans and Taiwanese - but they are in the minority.
[ Author: Guest: Bill | Posted: Feb 8, 2011 1:55 AM ]

Bob Alexander (Toei Flyers - 1959) was born in Vancouver, B.C. but I don't know whether he had Canadian citizenship. Alexander was well travelled as he also played in Cuba.
[ Author: Guest: Bill | Posted: Feb 8, 2011 2:05 AM ]

Also, Eishiro Yoshie was born in Vancouver, B.C. He played for the Flyers in 1948 and 1949, and with the Giants in 1950.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Mar 2, 2011 1:22 PM ]

Interesting. He was very unlikely to be granted Canadian citizenship just by being born within its borders way back then.
[ Author: Guest: Bill | Posted: Feb 8, 2011 3:30 AM ]

Another Canadian in Japan was Reno Bertoia, who played for the Hanshin Tigers in 1964. He was born in Italy but moved to Windsor, Ontario, when he was 1. He's a member of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.
[ Author: Guest: Todd | Posted: Feb 19, 2011 12:17 PM ]

Great stuff! Thanks Bill.
[ Author: Guest: Fred | Posted: Mar 2, 2011 8:59 AM ]

Does anyone know how Mike Hessman of the Orix Buffaloes is doing? He was hit in the head by a pitched ball about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.