Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Player Profiles Going Up

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Player Profiles Going Up
I'd like to announce the opening of the Players' section. There is a lot of information that needs to go in, yet. But I'm opening up the database I've been working on since 1995.

I would like to allow anyone to use this data however they see fit (in books, etc.), but you must understand one vital thing - I make no pretences to claim that the information is either complete or accurate. In fact, I find errors every year when I enter new data that had slipped by me, so I'm sure that there are errors in there still. If you do use the data here, I expect you to be kind enough to reference where you got the data (http://www.japanesebaseball.com), and to help out by contributing what data you can to this project. Consider it an Open Source database inititive.

I would also greatly appriciate your help in making this repository of data more complete. If you know a certain player, drop me a short biography on the player. If you have photos (in .jpg format), please send them to me. And most importantly, if you find any errors, I want to correct them right away. By pooling the efforts of the Pro Yakyu fan community, we can bring together a database the likes that will make NPB BIS (a.k.a IBM BIS) blush for their lack of support to you fans.

At this point, I've got career stats slowly going in for major players. If you have a request, it generally takes me about an hour per (long term) player. Keep in mind that I only have so many hours to work on data entry and other site improvements, so I won't guarantee that fast a turn around.

Also, I've been linking player profiles with articles that mention them to help make it easier to research particular players. The cross references are still being tested on my home computer, but will be up soon.

If you think of any other information you'd like to see with the profiles, please reply to this post.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.