Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shane Kenji Komine to start Monday for A's

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Shane Kenji Komine to start Monday for A's
Shane Kenji Komine, a top pitching prospect of the A's farm system, is to start this coming Monday. This will be his MLB debut. Shane is a Hawaiian born Japanese American-- his last name is Komine so I'm unsure if he is mixed or not.

Honolulu Advertiser Article
Comments
Re: Shane Kenji Komine to start Monday for A's
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Jul 29, 2006 2:12 PM ]

That's great news. I remember him being a highly touted player when he was at Nebraska. He'll be the 2nd Japanese-American to make his MLB debut this season after Travis Ishikawa of the Giants.
[ Author: Guest: ConditionOakland | Posted: Jul 31, 2006 1:51 AM ]

Oops-- Komine is actaully going to be starting TODAY (Sunday) at 1pm. He'll be facing off against the Blue Jays. Look for him!
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Jul 31, 2006 7:59 AM ]

Great debut for Komine today. He went 6 inn., giving up 4 hits and 1 run. He struck out 1 and was on his way to a win until closer Huston Street blew the save in the 9th. Too bad.

On ESPN this morning, announcer Karl Ravech, who does Baseball Tonight but butchers everyone's name, pronounced Shane's name, "KOH-MINE." Ravech is an idiot in my book. He still pronounces Hideki Matsui's name as, "MATT-SUEY," even though Yankees announcer Michael Kay pronounces Matsui's name correctly as "MAH-TSUI."
[ Author: Guest: ConditionOakland | Posted: Aug 1, 2006 1:27 PM ]

Yeah-- he did a great job. Let's hope he keeps it up!

Haha-- cut Ravech some slack-- Komine is not the usual Japanese name many American's usually see.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.