Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Free Agent Outfielders?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Free Agent Outfielders?
I was looking on the free agents thread for outfielders that can play in the Majors (MLB). I'd like to ask for your opinion on Tomonori Maeda, Kazuki Inoue and Takanori Suzuki.

All I know came from their stats pages. Anyone knows more about either?

Are there any others (free agent outfielders) I missed?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Free Agent Outfielders?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 30, 2006 9:43 AM | SFT Fan ]

Out of all them, I think Maeda would have the best major league career. Though none of the free agent outfielders coming out of the NPB will be sought after by major league teams.

In my opinion, Maeda will be nothing better than a fourth outfielder in the majors. Though I don't expect any to go to the majors.

For a complete list of NPB free agents check this related thread.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 30, 2006 10:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

All three are past their primes. I don't think any of them will be seeking an MLB career this off season.

Maeda was probably the most promising of the three (when he was younger), but Achilles problems have plagued his career. If he can stay healthy, maybe. But I really don't think Maeda even wants to leave Japan.

Inoue is a great utility guy to have on the bench. He's a great left-handed pinch hitter and substitute outfielder. He looks older than he is. Another under the radar Taguchi?

Suzuki-kun has been hurt for most of the past couple of seasons. (Shoulder problems, I think.) He's mainly been a pinch hitter the past couple of seasons. While his stats don't look too bad for a pinch hitter in 2006 (.329, 2 HRs, 13 RBIs in 61 games, 82 ABs), the impression I'd had watching him all season was much worse. I like Takanori as a player very much, but his heart just hasn't seemed to have been in the game since about 2000. Maybe a trip to the North American minor leagues could help him find himself again. But I home that the return of Ohya-kantoku (the BayStars' manager next season) will return some pop to his bat and, more importantly, a smile to his face.
[ Author: Guest: jim | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 9:33 AM ]

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Am I correct in thinking that a Japanese player is under control of the Japanese club for 10 years, and after that he becomes a free agent?

If so, how come Tadahito Iguchi signed as a free agent with chicago when he had played only for 8 years?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 4:48 PM | NIP Fan ]

Iguchi was a really special case - the Hawks released him so he could negotiate with any team, rather than getting compensated for him and limiting his freedom.

Take a look back at this thread.

I think it's 9 years, not 10, though.

And yeah, that's an awfully old set of outfielders you asked about, heh.
[ Author: Guest: jim | Posted: Nov 2, 2006 9:07 AM ]

Oh, I see now, thanks.- And yeah, that's an awfully old set of outfielders you asked about, heh.

That's the best free agents I could find in the thread!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 5:32 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Am I correct in thinking that a Japanese player is under control of the Japanese club for 10 years, and after that he becomes a free agent?

No, that is not correct. It's 9 years where the player was on the active roster for at least so many days each season. Any number of days short has to be made up in another year, but extra days for a given year don't count toward those makeup days. So it's a minimum of 9 years before free agency, with many players averaging 10 to 11 years. The Players Association is trying to do away with the absurd day counting rule and make it 9 years overall. But management doesn't really listen to them, so it's unknown if/when this will happen. (At least, they never make any acknowledgment of having heard any requests.)

- If so, how come Tadahito Iguchi signed as a free agent with chicago when he had played only for 8 years?

As Deanna pointed out, it's explained starting at this position in the above mentioned thread. Note, Daiei sold the team shortly after this due to money problems. So was this the wisest of business choices in hindsight?
[ Author: Guest: jim | Posted: Nov 2, 2006 9:14 AM ]

Yes, the counting system sounds absurd!

Thanks for the replies.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 22, 2006 9:48 PM ]

Hope the MLB teams know Alex Ochoa is a free agent, but he hasn't shown up in any sort of Hot Stove info on the MLB sites. Talk about being out of sight, out of mind for four years. Hope Mike Flanagan does his homework, because Baltimore's the place where Alex should be. He'll probably show up at Camden Yards wearing a Red Sox uniform since Alex will be looking to sign with a team that can win. Can't say I blame him.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 23, 2006 4:22 PM | HT Fan ]

- Alex will be looking to sign with a team that can win.

Wouldn't that be the Chunchi Dragons?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.