Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kuwata To Return To MLB For 2008?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kuwata To Return To MLB For 2008?
Masumi Kuwata [Baseball Reference], said he would like to return to the majors [Japan Ball] for the 2008 season. Kuwata said he would prefer to return to the Pirates.

Kuwata could be ready to play catch in 3-4 weeks according to his attending physician and plans on returning to Japan on Thursday to continue his rehab. He suffered damaged ligaments in a collision with an umpire in spring training.

In 19 games with the Pirates, Kuwata went 0-1 with a 9.34 ERA.
Comments
Re: Kuwata To Return To MLB For 2008?
[ Author: Guest: Patrick | Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:05 PM ]

If I'm not mistaken, the Pirates control the rights to Kuwata in 2008.

With new leadership on board from the top on down for next year, I doubt the Pirates will bring Kuwata back. Their recently axed GM, Dave Littlefield, used Kuwata as a cheap advertising tool for the Pirates in Japan. That he was ever able to hang around on the MLB roster for as long as he did made no sense to me. My guess is that he will get a chance because of the numbers game. He will play most of next year at AAA with someone before calling it quits at the age of 40.

He's had a helluva career, but, like his oft-injured, overpaid former teammate, Kazuhiro Kiyohara, hasn't done much of anything on a baseball field for several years. But, if someone is willing to pay you, I guess you keep on trying.
Re: Kuwata To Return To MLB For 2008?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 7, 2007 12:57 AM | SFT Fan ]

- If I'm not mistaken, the Pirates control the rights to Kuwata in 2008.

I'm not sure about Kuwata's status. The Pirates out-righted Kuwata to AAA Indianapolis, but he refused the assignment which would make him a free agent I believe.

- With new leadership on board from the top on down for next year, I doubt the Pirates will bring Kuwata back.

Yes, this will probably be a deciding factor in whether Kuwata will return to the Pirates. Since not only former GM Dave Littlefield is gone, former manager Jim Tracy was axed by new leadership, and when they hire a new manager, most of Tracy's coaches figure to get a pink slip, too.

As for whether somebody will take a chance on Kuwata, I say there's somebody out there if it isn't the Pirates. Though I don't think he will spend much time in the majors, if any.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.