Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kuroda Declares Free Agency, Eye on MLB

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kuroda Declares Free Agency, Eye on MLB
Hiroshima Carp pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has declared free agency. Kuroda said he has an eye on signing with a MLB team. The Seattle Mariners and Chicago Cubs are the two teams mentioned as possible destinations for Kuroda.

Kuroda was 12-8 with a 3.56 ERA in 27 games this year.

Source: Japan Ball
Comments
Re: Kuroda Declares Free Agency, Eye on MLB
[ Author: 20X6!! | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 7:19 PM | FSH Fan ]

Just a side note - I heard an interview with John Bale (former Carp starter/reliever) on a Royals' pre-game show, and he was asked who the next Japanese import will be, to which he said Kuroda.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 7:38 AM ]

Will the recent flops of Daisuke and Kei hurt Kuroda's MLB value?
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 11:47 AM ]

How can 15 wins be considered a flop? For the record, Gil Meche of the Royals only had 9 wins, but was considered a good free-agent signing. Granted, Meche's ERA was much lower than Matsuzaka's, but if Matsuzaka is a bust, then you haven't been following MLB pitching closely.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 1:54 PM ]

Yes, in terms of posting money. Any pitcher who can throw a strike is going to get a nice payday. I wouldn't call Dice-K a flop either. Write this season off to acclimation. Igawa, on the other hand, stinks. Plus, he is a Yankee - well sort of.

What kind of stuff does Kuroda have?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 8:57 PM ]

I don't know. Matsuzaka hasn't been so sharp lately. His pitching form looks really awkward from the one in Japan and the beginning of the MLB season. Why did he change it? It looks like he is rushing his delivery. I believe today's game at Fenway will decide Daisuke's reputation with the Boston fans.

And Kuroda will most likely be a mediocre pitcher in the Majors. If Daisuke put up a 4.40 ERA then Kuroda will not do better in my opinion.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 22, 2007 3:29 PM ]

I'm hoping Kuroda will see the writing on the wall and stay in Japan, signing a deal with my beloved Hanshin Tigers. They need starting pitching! He can stay as the big fish in the small pond, rather than take a chance on humiliation in the big leagues.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 22, 2007 6:51 PM | HAN Fan ]

I believe his contract precluded that. If I recall correctly he could claim free agency provided he signed to an MLB club. I seem to remember Japanese clubs being excluded.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 22, 2007 7:52 PM | YBS Fan ]

I confer with Christopher. Everything I've read has said that when Kuroda re-signed for a 4 year deal with Hiroshima last year that he had a clause specifying that he could pursue free agency with an MLB team only. All of the current Japanese articles also only mention Kuroda moving to the MLB.

Hanshin is talking about giving up Hamanaka for a starting pitcher. But they're looking to Nippon Ham for a trade, not Hiroshima.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 22, 2007 10:56 PM | NIP Fan ]

Wow, uhh. Why on earth would anyone give up something useful for Hamanaka? No offense, I like the guy, but this was not really his best year. If they want some of our pitching they should trade us Lin, we'll treat him well.

(I suppose that last year the Fighters managed to trade Kazunari Sanematsu for a year of Hideki Okajima, so it is in fact possible to trade nothing for something, but...)
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 23, 2007 9:21 AM | HAN Fan ]

Surprisingly, Lotte have also expressed interest in Hamanaka. Maybe they and Nippon Ham see some potential they feel they can bring out?
[ Author: Nagoya Gaijin | Posted: Oct 24, 2007 11:03 AM ]

I can't see the Tigers giving up Lin in the near future. He's gonna be a helluva player.

I hope they dip into the free agent pool and pick up a dominant starter like Miura, and a good gaijin bat in the form of Ramirez. That would definitely put them over the top. They've got the money, they should spend it.
[ Author: 20X6!! | Posted: Oct 23, 2007 6:15 PM | FSH Fan ]

I've learned that anything short of Ichiro is a complete roll of the dice on how well they'll perform in the U.S.

My "how are they not doing better here?" list:
  • Matsui (Kazuo) - perhaps the injuries impeded him, but I expected consistent .300 seasons with a ton of stolen bases.
  • Igawa - this totally baffles me. Perhaps he needs to get out of New York and play with a Hanshin-like team? The Cubs, anyone?
My "how in the world did they succeed here?" list:
  • Taguchi - I mean, he was what, a .280, 10 HR at best player for the BlueWave?
  • Saitoh - I had to think about this one - then I remembered the decent (but not like a superstar) starter for the BayStars. Now as a Dodger he's more dominant as a closer than Sasaki (former teammate, no less) was.
  • Okajima (OH kuh JEE muh, as they say here) - yes, a good middle-reliever, but boy did it translate to a super good first year.
I'd personally love to see how slow-baller Watanabe Shunsuke would do - when are his 9 years up?
[ Author: Japanese Kid | Posted: Oct 24, 2007 1:39 AM ]

- Saitoh - I had to think about this one - then I remembered the decent (but not like a superstar) starter for the BayStars. Now as a Dodger he's more dominant as a closer than Sasaki (former teammate, no less) was.

In my opinion he was the true Cy Young award winner. He has obviously been the best closer in baseball the past 2 years. Saitoh is the best.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.